How to use a Fender FR-12 with a powered sub for bass?

donaldr

I'm looking to get a Fender FR12-FR10 for my guitar but as I also play bass I would like to connect my EV ZXA-1 powered sub, using some of my analog preamp bass pedals (so no dual path). The sub as in-line input and output.

I was thinking bass -> preamp -> XLR out -> sub -> inline HPF at 100Hz -> FR12. But the FR12 eq would not be usable on the sub, would that matters?

Any other suggestions?
Where can I get a passive HPF filter? I read that impedance is switching the filter value and I should measure it but I don't know how.
I read the Shure A15HP (100Hz) is for microphone level and using line level it would distorts and not filters at 100Hz.

I don't mind building my own in a small Hammond project box.

I would try it the other way around
Bass> preamp> FR in> FR out> sub
Still the eq won't affect the sub, but then you aren't HP to the FR.
I bet this rig of yours will sound great !

I'm in the same boat as you, playing guitar and bass, and thinking about using an FR12 or FR10 as my main rig. I was thinking I would just deal with the limited frequency range and rely on house sound for lows (either in the mains or mains+sub), since I almost never use a bass rig for much more than just the stage sound.

I would try it the other way around
Bass> preamp> FR in> FR out> sub
Still the eq won't affect the sub, but then you aren't HP to the FR.
I bet this rig of yours will sound great !
I'm really not sure the FR will not fart out on low B at full volume. That's why I want to low-cut before.

I'm in the same boat as you, playing guitar and bass, and thinking about using an FR12 or FR10 as my main rig. I was thinking I would just deal with the limited frequency range and rely on house sound for lows (either in the mains or mains+sub), since I almost never use a bass rig for much more than just the stage sound.
I'm more concerned about the FR12/FR10 farting on lower notes at full volume.

My subs do ..but I usually like the low end crossed over much lower for FOH than the built in xovers

100Hz (which is common) is really good for bass guitar though. It mostly puts the fundamentals of the lowest two (or 3) strings through the sub, and the higher two strings through the HP side. .... which is badass on bass with a chorus on just the HP side.

Old guy studio trick from way.. way back 😎

Don't most powered subs have crossovers built in? I'd just use the crossover in the sub itself if it's got one.

-Aaron
As I said in the OP, the sub as in-line input and output. So full range input, own built-in crossover around 100Hz, full range output.
In either case, placing the FR12 before or after the sub it will receive full range frequencies which I want to avoid.

Are you using a Fractal device? Have you tried using crossover block and two separate outputs? Seems like that should work.

Edit: I did see you said no dual path but could you not use the pedals before the Fractal or possibly using an out/in 3 path?

Are you using a Fractal device? Have you tried using crossover block and two separate outputs? Seems like that should work.

Edit: I did see you said no dual path but could you not use the pedals before the Fractal or possibly using an out/in 3 path?
No I am using analog bass preamps only, no effects, with a tuner pedal.

Have you looked at Fender online? Many options to choose from and right now you can get free shipping on most amplifiers (excluding Hawaii, Alaska)

Back
Top Bottom