how to tone match an amp head ?

antony71p

is it better to tone match an amp head with a mic in front of the cabinet or by taking directly the out ? (for example i have a jcm 800 modified with 6550 tubes and i have to interapt a line out interface, like an atenuator, at the speaker out of the head )

yes and i understand the way he does it but i mean if i wanna tone match my jcm 800 2203 should it be best to take the output of the head ?
at the jcm 2203 there is no preamp output , only the output from the head that goes in the cabinet (and delivers a tone that is preamp+poweramp ) so i need an adaptor like a line out to ''capture'' that signal ,right ?
if you try to tone match from a cabinet you have to use a mic but the mic doesn't ''hear'' what a human ear hears so it depends on the mic you use ,the placement,the cab and the preamp of the mic
so my question is ...isn't it best to try capture the tone exactly from the output of a head and after ''throw'' the signal in a cab to hear if it matches ? .....(i know one best answer will be TRY IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS) but i wanna discuss it and hear some aspects ,
also at my amp i cant seperate preamp from poweramp cause there is no preamp out ,actually there is no line out jcm 800 2203

Last edited:
yes and i understand the way he does it but i mean if i wanna tone match my jcm 800 2203 should it be best to take the output of the head ?
at the jcm 2203 there is no preamp output , only the output from the head that goes in the cabinet (and delivers a tone that is preamp+poweramp ) so i need an adaptor like a line out to ''capture'' that signal ,right ?
if you try to tone match from a cabinet you have to use a mic but the mic doesn't ''hear'' what a human ear hears so it depends on the mic you use ,the placement,the cab and the preamp of the mic
so my question is ...isn't it best to try capture the tone exactly from the output of a head and after ''throw'' the signal in a cab to hear if it matches ? .....(i know one best answer will be TRY IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS) but i wanna discuss it and hear some aspects ,
also at my amp i cant seperate preamp from poweramp cause there is no preamp out ,actually there is no line out jcm 800 2203
If you capture an IR of the cabinet you will be using during the amp tonematch and follow the process Cliff outlined, you will only be matching the amps tone. The use of the speaker IR eliminates the speakers influence on the tonematch leaving you with only the amps character in the match. No need for an attenuator with a line out. BTW if you use the line out attenuator method, the attenuator has a sonic signature that will then be captured as part of the tonematch.

Back
Top Bottom