How to toggle between real preamp vs fractal amp models in 4 cable method with Axe FX-3

for this, If you plug yourself in the axe, put a amp block only, and then output 1 to the return of the head you bypass the preamp of the ceriatone and use whatever amp and effects of the axe. But goodbye the dist of the real head. That’s why I’m curious about the how it is possible to have both things . And I just realize that you want a clean from the axe at first .
yes I want clean from fractal, but it shouldn’t matter. when I had real friedman JJ100 and ax8, I had presets where I toggled between any fractal amp model and real amp’s preamp, but can’t remember how, it was years ago :(

yes I want clean from fractal, but it shouldn’t matter. when I had real friedman JJ100 and ax8, I had presets where I toggled between any fractal amp model and real amp’s preamp, but can’t remember how, it was years ago :(
Maybe his second preset just act like you are plugging yourself in the return of the head only

Maybe his second preset just act like you are plugging yourself in the return of the head only
maybe, but he says he is doing 4CM. but I am pretty sure this can be done the way I want, I just can’t remember how to do it. I played for so long without 4cm that I totally forgot thiese cool little tricks :(

And if you have set up everything like he said in the beginning (cables and menus) and just do this preset respecting the setting you see for the send return it don’t work so?

F389266B-D4A7-4518-BA89-CF532A7D7CD5.jpeg

okay, so when I use multiplexer, I still need to know :

• where to put fractal’s amp block on the grid
  • how to cable it exactly
  • how to configure Mplexer to switch between real amp’s preamp and fractal amp model preamp’s

can you help with this please ?

In scene 1, use MPlex channel A, which takes input from the fx return. In scene 2, use channel B, which takes input from the amp block. Output 3 goes to amp in. Amp fx send goes to input 3. That will allow you to switch back and forth between an amp block and a real amp preamp in a single preset. But it's still possible I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do.

MPlex.jpg

In scene 1, use MPlex channel A, which takes input from the fx return. In scene 2, use channel B, which takes input from the amp block. Output 3 goes to amp in. Amp fx send goes to input 3. That will allow you to switch back and forth between an amp block and a real amp preamp in a single preset. But it's still possible I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do.

View attachment 113086
I would need to do it with this layout. is it possible ?
I want to be able to toggle between amp real preamp and fractal models using scenes - mute one off and other on and vice versa.

Attachments

• FE00E212-CCA8-4EC2-9B89-1D5D21629B0E.jpeg
    FE00E212-CCA8-4EC2-9B89-1D5D21629B0E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I would need to do it with this layout. is it possible ?
I want to be able to toggle between amp real preamp and fractal models using scenes - mute one off and other on and vice versa.

Yes, it's possible. Here's my example expanded to show fx before and after the amp. Set up the scenes as I described above to switch from the real amp preamp to the Axe-FX amp block in scenes 1 and 2.

MPlex2.jpg

I do this now. You need one preset or scene that has your grid set up for the 4cm to use your real amp as the amp tone.

This grid for 4cm has IN1>>>OUT3 then next line IN3>>>>OUT1 This will give you all pre and post effects in 4cm with you real amp.

The next scene or preset will have IN1>>>>>>OUT1 on your grid. In this arrangement you add in your Fractal AMP SIM and this will then put a Fractal Amp sim through the power amp only of your real amp.

One grid layout for 4CM to utilize your real amp as the tone and another grid that uses the Fractals amp sims as the main tone and just uses your real amp from power.

I do this now. You need one preset or scene that has your grid set up for the 4cm to use your real amp as the amp tone.

This grid for 4cm has IN1>>>OUT3 then next line IN3>>>>OUT1 This will give you all pre and post effects in 4cm with you real amp.

The next scene or preset will have IN1>>>>>>OUT1 on your grid. In this arrangement you add in your Fractal AMP SIM and this will then put a Fractal Amp sim through the power amp only of your real amp.

One grid layout for 4CM to utilize your real amp as the tone and another grid that uses the Fractals amp sims as the main tone and just uses your real amp from power.
Yes but when he does the setting in1—- out1 he said that something is wrong. That’s why I don’t understand . Maybe a parameter/cable somewhere is not well set

View attachment 113086

This is exactly how I have done it.

Most people sometime don't realize they are plugging into and input instead of an output on the back. I just made the same mistake last week when I redid the cables on my rig.

I tried it , I coudln’t mute real amps’ preamp, as written in post #27.
I think that the preamp is automatically muted because of the set up and chain used in his preset 2

It’s interesting by the way cause with this you add a clean channel to an amp that don’t have it originally . Have you tried a clean amp of the axe in the return of the head to hear the result of a clean tone through it ?

THat's what the multiplexer is for. It allows you to choose which line of the grid is being passed through to the rest of the chain. There are other ways of doing it involving block levels, but that isn't nearly as easy or efficient.
I’ll try it with Mplex and hopefully this is it.

Back
Top Bottom