How to toggle between real preamp vs fractal amp models in 4 cable method with Axe FX-3

I think that the preamp is automatically muted because of the set up and chain used in his preset 2

It’s interesting by the way cause with this you add a clean channel to an amp that don’t have it originally . Have you tried a clean amp of the axe in the return of the head to hear the result of a clean tone through it ?
of course, it works nicely, any nice clean amp model with amp power section combined and you have nice second channel to single channel amp.

THat's what the multiplexer is for. It allows you to choose which line of the grid is being passed through to the rest of the chain. There are other ways of doing it involving block levels, but that isn't nearly as easy or efficient.
Léon don’t use a multiplexer in his preset 2 in the video . The way the cable are set and the setting of every blocks mute the preamp of the amp as the signal goes to the poweramp directly I think . Like going to the return of the head only

Léon don’t use a multiplexer in his preset 2 in the video . The way the cable are set and the setting of every blocks mute the preamp of the amp as the signal goes to the poweramp directly I think . Like going to the return of the head only

Thing is, if I'm reading this thread correctly, Leon was running two separate presets. If that's the case, we should just ignore that completely because the objective here is to switch between a loop (with the amps preamp in it) and an amp block in the same preset. In this scenario, the screenshot that Glenn posted is the most common (and easiest) way to do it.

Very simplest way to my eye, is to have fx loop block into amp block with two scenes:
1. Clean, fx loop bypass'd and amp block engaged.
2. External Preamp, fx loop engaged and amp block bypassed.

That's it - see below:

Clean Scene
1671751645770.png

External Preamp Scene:
1671751691425.png

Connections:
  • Guitar > Axfx In 1 front.
  • Axfx Out3L > External Pre Input
  • External Pre Output (ie External Amp Send) > Axfx In3L
  • Axfx Out1L > External Power Amp (ie External Amp Return).

Global:
Input3 set to "Left Only".
Output3 set to "Sum L+R"

Preset attached - start with low output1 level in case of volume spike.

Refine loop level with Input3 Level knob.

Attachments

• 4CM.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Very simplest way to my eye, is to have fx loop block into amp block with two scenes:

That's it - see below:

Clean Scene
View attachment 113091

External Preamp Scene:
View attachment 113092

Connections:

Global:
Output3 set to "Sum L+R"
I think this is how I done it years ago when I had friedman JJ and Ax8. There was no Mplexer I think and this was the solution, IIRC. Also, this looks to me a lot more simple than using Mplexer block.

That's it - see below:

Clean Scene
View attachment 113091

External Preamp Scene:
View attachment 113092

Connections:

Global:
Output3 set to "Sum L+R"

Preset attached - start with low output1 level in case of volume spike.

Refine loop level with Input3 Level knob.
Swap your IN 3 and Amp blocks and all you need to do is bypass the In 3 block and you'll hear the amp block instead. No Mux block needed.

I think this is how I done it years ago when I had friedman JJ and Ax8. There was no Mplexer I think and this was the solution, IIRC.
There's several ways - I use the mux like Mr GlennO (or mixer) to give me the option of having a balance control on the return signal which I sometimes need in more complicated stereo external routings, but, for the absolute simplest mono 4cm, just loop into amp and mute either accordingly by scene.

There's several ways - I use the mux like Mr GlennO (or mixer) to give me the option of having a balance control on the return signal which I sometimes need, but, for the absolute simplest 4cm, just loop into amp and mute either accordingly by scene.
sure, but mplexer is bit complicated for me. I can’t walk and chew at the same time, and 1 ch. amp is complex enough for me :) so I’ll probably try your advice first, haha 😀

Careful of the volume levels when testing 4cm - none of my real amps have master volume after fx loop so forgetting to turn down Axfx output volume when testing has practically blown my head off a couple times in the past.

Back
Top Bottom