How to tell what FW version a preset was created on?

animal

Experienced
Just wondering if there was any way to know what specific FW a preset was created on?
With the updates it would be nice to know what the FW was so you could hear the exact sound as intended

Just wondering if there was any way to know what specific FW a preset was created on?
With the updates it would be nice to know what the FW was so you could hear the exact sound as intended

If you're getting it from the Exchange it will tell you on the "download" page what FW it was created on.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by hearing the exact sound as intended, though. Unless you run the preset on the FW it was created on, you won't be able to do that and make need to tweak some parameters.

If you're getting it from the Exchange it will tell you on the "download" page what FW it was created on.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by hearing the exact sound as intended, though. Unless you run the preset on the FW it was created on, you won't be able to do that and make need to tweak some parameters.

yeah i would like to know what it was created on so I could change my FW to the same one to hear it as intended

so using that logic if you don't have the same guitar its worthless using another persons preset? lol
If thats the case what is the point of even exchanging presets then?

I'm asking because some earlier presets when loaded up with later FW clip like crazy or presets made on newer FW won't load up on older ones etc
I don't care what guitar they were using etc

I'm asking because some earlier presets when loaded up with later FW clip like crazy or presets made on newer FW won't load up on older ones etc
I don't care what guitar they were using etc

Adjusting for the clipping is not much of an issue. It's easy to do.

You're going to load an older FW version just to listen to one preset? That seems like an awful lot of work, but it's yours to do with what you will.

Many presets will not sound like they do through the creator's rig. Due to firmware, IR, guitar, amplification, humidity, magnetism, position of the moon etc. It's the nature of the beast. I don't mind, it's not a CD.

wow I didn't think it was going to be this hard to get an answer or turn into something else :/

When you upload to axe-change is it the user that puts in the FW or does it automatically detect it?

so using that logic if you don't have the same guitar its worthless using another persons preset? lol
If thats the case what is the point of even exchanging presets then?

That's exactly how I feel about other people's presets. Almost every one I've tried does not sound good to me, I have to tweak it. Yet their recording with their guitar sounded great.

I only use others' presets for effect settings, but not tone.

When you upload to axe-change is it the user that puts in the FW or does it automatically detect it?

The user enters it. I don't think it's embedded in the SysEx data dumped to disk for a patch but someone like CyberFerret might know better. Cliff, for certain, would know. :)

wow I didn't think it was going to be this hard to get an answer or turn into something else :/

I think we're just confused as to why you would revert back to a FW version just to hear one preset, then have to revert back to the newer FW to hear everything else. Of course you can, but I personally don't know why you would want to.

I've uploaded old presets that were created with old FW and then just had to tweak them a bit and they have all sounded amazing.

To each his own, though. Having fun is the most important part!

I think we're just confused as to why you would revert back to a FW version just to hear one preset, then have to revert back to the newer FW to hear everything else. Of course you can, but I personally don't know why you would want to.

I've uploaded old presets that were created with old FW and then just had to tweak them a bit and they have all sounded amazing.

To each his own, though. Having fun is the most important part!

then why bother about having the FW info on axe-change etc? Its because a patch that was done on FW1 will 99% sound radically different if its on FW12.
Obviously you can adjust levels to stop clipping etc but it would be nice to know

anyhow I'm going around in circles here lol I just wanted to know if there was any way to find out

reminds me of the time I asked about artist presets.....

Why bother. You don't have the same guitar anyway….

AAEN

That's not very helpful. You are really stating the very obvious. I think asking how to tell which Firmware a preset was created on is a valid question since values and setting parameters change between firmwares. One could be interested in that. But I don't now the answer to the OP's question.

You're question is a valid one, not sure why you're getting such exagerated responses. The fact that Axe-Change has an entry for the FW used is because users asked for it for that very reason. Sure, the preset won't sound the same with your guitar, or even your fingers, but at least you're starting at a point where you're as close as possible by using the same FW version. If you're using the preset for direct recording (no FRFR cabs, guitar cabs, power amp...), the differences would be greatly reduced. Whether the FW info is stored somewhere within the .syx file would be best answered by Cliff or someone at Fractal, but I've never seen it stated that it was. Aside from that, You could just PM the creator of the preset.

Last edited:
thanks guys , yeah there seems to be a certain pain threshold that you have to get thru sometimes here to get an answer lol

would be great if there was a way to find out

I recall reading an older post where someone stated that in the preset file there was data about the FW version ...... but ....... I would think it would be somewhat proprietary ..... maybe ???

Back
Top Bottom