How to sync Axe tempo with DAW tempo

Poparad

Power User
So say I'm running Pro Tools 10 with the Axe as my interface, how do I set the tempo on the Axe (for delays) to sync with the tempo of the session I'm currently working on? Besides manually entering the same metronome marking or tapping it out via the front panel.

I have tried that from a daw (sonar) before and found that i had to send the cc message far more than two times to actually get the tempo desired. Not sure why that is. However, to have the daw change presets and turn effects on and off worked flawlessly with my ultra.

Hi again.....I don't know how to do it in Pro tools but I did it a few times in sonar and reaper.
you set your beat rythm in your project, insert a midi track in your project, usually double click that track (might be different on pro tools) to get to the midi roll window, on the beat 2.1.00 insert a first CC message (I don't remember what is the original CC for tempo tap on the axe but you can check it in I/O - CTRL - tempo tap, mine is 119 because my lexicon tap is fixed at 119) then go to the next mesure 2.2.00 and put again the same CC message. so you have two CC message on your two first mesures of your project and that should set your tempo in sync with your project. I put the CC messages at the 2nd mesure but it would work at the start too
That is the idea......

I've just tried it in Pro Tools 10 and basically it's the same as saturate68 said. You have to set up a midi track and it's output must be to the Axe-Fx. Then on that track send two midi signals using CC#14 with a value of 127 (on). They must be separated in time by the tap tempo. If you need more details on how to set this up in Pro Tools let me know.

ufx midi out to axe midi in works for me...no need to set anything up in a DAW. Is this a function of pro tools? Shouldn't the axe read the incoming midi clock automatically?

Hi Poparad.....midi clock sure works with the Axe, it just doesn't transmit midi clock out but when you send midi clock to the Axe midi out it syncs.
once again in reaper (you must be sick of it by now) in midi preferences when i enable the midi output to the axe all i have to do is enable "send clock/spp to output

Thanks, I'll dig around in the Pro Tools preferences and look for something similar. The reason why I'm asking is I have a tune with multiple tempo changes in it, and I wanted to keep a dotted eighth delay synced to it across the shifts.

• Haha
Reactions: HIO
Back
Top Bottom