How to Setup Mono Monitor / Stereo FOH + IEM

dweiskopf

Inspired
Hi:

I’m hoping there is s a simple answer to this that someone can help me with.

My setup: I have an FX III into a Matrix. My plan is to have Outs 1 (L + R) to FOH, and Outs 2 to my single Mission passive 1-P Wedge monitor., and use IEMs (in the rack too).

My questions:

1. For the Monitor (until I get a second for stereo), how can I make the otherwise stereo chain mono (other than just taking the L or R Out 2 to the mission)? Would I put a mixer block before the Out 2 block and sum the stereo (can I even do that)? Is there another way?

2. I know most FOH run mono, so same question for Outs 1.

Thanks!

i just run 1 cable to the mono connection. it's "half stereo" and for my setup, it sounds good and full because i don't hard pan any effects, or if i do, it still sounds good with only one side. this simplifies setups because i don't have to change any settings or add anything to presets. at my gig, i send stereo to a mixer, then the mixer sends 1 cable to the house for mono, i have 2 monitors on stage in stereo, and additionally use IEMs in stereo.

i'd try that first to see if it gets you the sound you want, then you don't have to ever change anything and you're always setup for stereo.

Thanks so much.
How do you get the IEMs in stereo?

Have you tried any ways of doing the mixing with a block rather than an outboard mixer?

Thanks so much.
How do you get the IEMs in stereo?

Have you tried any ways of doing the mixing with a block rather than an outboard mixer?
i use a mixer at the gig to plug in mics and to send several signals with EQ to various places at a gig - a traditional mixer usage.

without a pa mixer, you would just keep Out 1 and Out 2 set to stereo, then use 1 or 2 cables as needed. for mono, send one cable, for stereo send 2. again, you're "losing" 1/2 of the signal, but in many cases, the 2 sides are very similar, and it's just slight differences that make it seem wider for the stereo output. try it and it might work well for you.

for the IEM in stereo question, what do you mean? i send a stereo signal to the IEM wireless unit, or just take a stereo out of the mixer i use. again, since my axe is always in stereo, i just use 2 cables when i want stereo.

Got it. Thanks. I was just wondering if there was another way of doing this than 1/2 stereo?
you want a summed mono signal, just checking?

i think you can set the outputs to different modes in the Setup Audio menu. options should be Stereo, Sum L+R (which you'd want for mono it seems) and Copy L > R (this just duplicates the left signal to the right output and is exactly the same as 1/2 stereo).

Thanks. Well, I think so 🤔. Just trying to figure out how to keep the stereo patch and, well, yes, sum it for the mono monitor. So, your suggesting a global output setting? Thanks. I’ll look at that!

Thanks. Well, I think so 🤔. Just trying to figure out how to keep the stereo patch and, well, yes, sum it for the mono monitor. So, your suggesting a global output setting? Thanks. I’ll look at that!
yup. keep one set to stereo, set the other to Sum L+R. do know that summing things can create phase cancellation or other weird phasing sounds. that's why i like the half-stereo option, because it avoids all of that and i don't have to change any settings.

Back
Top Bottom