How to set the VU meter?

Hansen

Experienced
I have adjusted all my presets so that they are inline with the VU-meter. If I would like to make some adjustments, e.g. have some of the presets lower in volume, how should I go about that without changing the level on the VU meter so they still hit the mark there?

The lower level presets will have to hit lower on the by meter. That's why it's there. I usually zero everything then count db's for typical boost or cut. (4-5 db boost for lead etc), then adjust as needed at practice. I add or cut dbs on the scene output

If you want a preset lower in volume, make it lower than the guide-line on the VU meter. The line is just a visual reference point.

If you want a preset lower in volume, make it lower than the guide-line on the VU meter. The line is just a visual reference point.

OK. I thought that every sound should be as close to the line as possible, that it was some kind of optimal signal/noise ratio. So the only importance is that no sounds have a level above the line?

You can peak above the line. The zero point is just a suggested target that leaves a bit of headroom. The main idea is use the zero point to match your presets so they have they same volume. I zero mine while on my general rhythm patch and thus leaves plenty of room for my booster scenes but just barely. Ideally your loudest patch would just tickle or slightly blow the top of your headroom

I don't vu meters are always that accurate for setting patches. I even downloaded sound meter apps into my phone, etc.. bottom line.... gotta play live and use your ears

Back
Top Bottom