How to set AxeFx II with a tube poweramp

rsf1977_again

Power User
do you run the poweramp knobs fully open (I have a Fryette 2/90/2) and then control the volume from the axefx? I'm curious what's the best practice with a tube poweramp setup.

I have a tube active monitor, poweramp section like voxAc30 into a cab with eminence speaker 12'', 40 watt.
Mary times I use the ac30 sim with p.a. Sim off.
I set master volume at half level due to huge volume, but it could be interesting to test volume level full up, recreating the original behavior of a real ac30 with no poweramp (set to 10 like axe set itself) and engage only the drive knob starting from low level
You gave me a good idea!

I found on my Mesa 50/50 that halfway on each channel was plenty to work with and kept the noise floor reasonable

It should not matter if you set the level on the AxeFx (Output) or on the tube power amp (volume). Both don't affect the tone if the power amp curcuit was designed properly.
The power tubes itselft always run at "full power", the input signal before the power tubes is attenuated. So the power section is only "cooking" if you are playing at higher volume, regardless if you max the amp volume and use a lower AxeFx Output or the opposite.

I ran mine the other way (after experimenting a bunch) , I would set the output level on the front of my axe FX up to around 3-4 oclock and control the
volume from my Fryette 2/50/2 it seemed like I got a much fuller signal running into the power amp that way.

I ran mine the other way (after experimenting a bunch) , I would set the output level on the front of my axe FX up to around 3-4 oclock and control the
volume from my Fryette 2/50/2 it seemed like I got a much fuller signal running into the power amp that way.

what about power amp modelling?

what about power amp modelling?

It's a matter of taste. I usually have it "off" with my 15 Watt tube power amp. But I like to add a graphic EQ to get better sound at lower volume. I use the following settings:
31,25 = 0 62,5 = +5
125 = 0 250 = 0
500 = -4 1k = +3
2k = 0 4k = +3
8k = +4 16k = -1

Back
Top Bottom