How to set a De-Esser (Dynamic EQ if you prefer) into Axe FX

SynFactory

Inspired
Hi guys,
I need to know how to set up a Dynamic EQ into the AXE-FX. I know it's possible, it's even written on the manual but I had no luck...
I really need it because sometimes the harshness of high gain amps is too much, and since equing is not my favourite solution since it affects the entire tone, I tried to setup a sort of De-Esser.

I put a filter set to peak at the end of the chain with a +5db of gain between 5000 and 7000 and then a compressor after that with side chain set to input or row 2 but it doesnt'react as usual. It actually empshasive those frequencies, so the side chain isn't working.

Any help?

Re: How to set a De-Esser (Dynamic EQ if you prefer) into Ax

SynFactory said:
Hi guys,
I need to know how to set up a Dynamic EQ into the AXE-FX. I know it's possible, it's even written on the manual but I had no luck...
I really need it because sometimes the harshness of high gain amps is too much, and since equing is not my favourite solution since it affects the entire tone, I tried to setup a sort of De-Esser.

I put a filter set to peak at the end of the chain with a +5db of gain between 5000 and 7000 and then a compressor after that with side chain set to input or row 2 but it doesnt'react as usual. It actually empshasive those frequencies, so the side chain isn't working.

Any help?

Okay, I see that you don't want to use an EQ.
But still, did you try it? A lot of people do.
Add the PEQ after the cab, Set the highest band to "Blocking", and choose for example 5.5 kHz. That's it.

If you like it, you can use the lowest band as well to get rid of lows if these trouble you too.

You don't need a compressor after the filter. Just the filter. My first advice would be to find such IRs that don't sound too bright because it's because of that and you are just compensating for a bad IR.

Set type to peaking. Search for the bad frequency with boosting a peak. (should be around 2-4khz, higher than that it's just fizz which isn't that dynamic) Set the Q at about 0.8 and go to GAIN and press ENTER. Set source to ENVLPE, start to 50 mid to 50 and end to about 30. Slope 0 and scale 50. Then tweak those settings until it's good. DAMPING!!! You should have some of that since it'll sound weird. Just a little bit of that.

yek said:
SynFactory said:
Hi guys,

Any help?

Okay, I see that you don't want to use an EQ.
But still, did you try it? A lot of people do.
Add the PEQ after the cab, Set the highest band to "Blocking", and choose for example 5.5 kHz. That's it.

If you like it, you can use the lowest band as well to get rid of lows if these trouble you too.

Of course I used an EQ. Have you ever used a De-Esser on guitar tracks?
With the EQ you affect the entire "tone". If you cut 5.5 KHZ you cut it from whatever notes is played.
A Dynamic EQ basically "reacts" to note pitch in this case. Lower the note, lower the effect of cutting the selected frequencies and viceversa.

Clark Kent said:
You don't need a compressor after the filter. Just the filter. My first advice would be to find such IRs that don't sound too bright because it's because of that and you are just compensating for a bad IR.

Set type to peaking. Search for the bad frequency with boosting a peak. (should be around 2-4khz, higher than that it's just fizz which isn't that dynamic) Set the Q at about 0.8 and go to GAIN and press ENTER. Set source to ENVLPE, start to 50 mid to 50 and end to about 30. Slope 0 and scale 50. Then tweak those settings until it's good. DAMPING!!! You should have some of that since it'll sound weird. Just a little bit of that.

Ok thanks!! I will try that!!
But as I said, I don't want to cut 2-4 KHZ, I really don't like the "Fizz". It's unnatural for me.
I always used IR that are taken really close. Maybe I have to try to mix in another IR that is taken further.

Clark Kent said:
go to GAIN and press ENTER. Set source to ENVLPE, start to 50 mid to 50 and end to about 30. Slope 0 and scale 50. Then tweak those settings until it's good. DAMPING!!! You should have some of that since it'll sound weird. Just a little bit of that.

I've never come across that little trick before. What does it do? Its 2.45am in England right now so i can't blast my Axe up till tomorrow (today ;) ) to try it..

SynFactory said:
A Dynamic EQ basically "reacts" to note pitch in this case. Lower the note, lower the effect of cutting the selected frequencies and viceversa.

Wrong. It' s a fixed freq filter, the gain being controlled by envelope of voice.

You can do what you write above with the Axefx (great gear!!!) but you will not obtain the de-esser effect.

If you want to remove fizz then just use EQ because like I said fizz isn't that dynamic... it's the same volume all the time so de-esser would be on all the time.

This envelope trick that I demonstrated will do the "Linkin Park" effect where the picking sound is smoother and not brittle like most modern hi-gain amps are. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP_L61-Dls4

But like I said... de-esser on those higher frequencies you mentioned sounds just like using EQ.

for dynamic eq, try a multiband compressor, and if that wont work then yes try the filter trick with the lowpass being dictated by an envelope filter.

Oh yes Multiband Compressor...Ultra Envy :D
I'm on Standard so I cannot access it.
And yes this an Andrew Scheps trick (that works with Linkin Park too).

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=5402

The video is "Distorted Guitar Presence"

I know that it's possible to do it on the Axe, since it's written on the manual, page 28.

"...By using a row as the sidechain you can use the compressor as a ducker or de-esser..."

It's better defined in the Wiki:

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... Compressor

SCSEL - To use the sidechain you simply feed two (or more) rows to the compressor input, say rows 1 and 2. The row you desire to be the sidechain is set with SRCSEL. The remaining rows are summed and used as the input.

Now I'll try the filter trick and I let you know...

Back
Top Bottom