How to run the Ecstasy in Plexi mode?

james...

Experienced
I know there's a way to do this because i think Cliff said how to at one point. But I can't find the thread to save my life, and since that was 5 or 6 firmwares ago it might have changed anyway.

Changing tonestack to Plexi isn't enough.
But why... There are a lot of Plexis in the Axe.

I'm with Yek - and I owned an Ecstasy. As great as it is in the amp, you have the real deal (virtually anyway) in the Axe-FX II.

I would have to concur with Yek and Scott. I own a 101B and while the plexi mode is cool in it's own rite, I prefer the real deal. With V10 the plexi models are so freaking amazing I would wonder why use anything else if you are looking for a plexi tone.

I remember what you are talking about and if I remember correctly it was, set the tone stack to the plexi tone stack, and adjust the bright cap to what a plexi defaults to.
I think. Been a while since this was talked about.
Hope that helps.

The main issues I see with trying to get the Axefx Ecstasy models to do the plexi mode is too many gain stages. Even the blue has one too many gain stages for the Bogner plexi mode, plus the extra gain stage is set up like a hot rodded JCM800. It would be cool if Cliff chimed in here to enlighten us on the real deal.

The main issues I see with trying to get the Axefx Ecstasy models to do the plexi mode is too many gain stages. Even the blue has one too many gain stages for the Bogner plexi mode, plus the extra gain stage is set up like a hot rodded JCM800. It would be cool if Cliff chimed in here to enlighten us on the real deal.

Wouldn't decreasing the input trim solve the extra gain stage issue?

Wouldn't decreasing the input trim solve the extra gain stage issue?
It's not just the extra gain, it's the way the gain stage changes the tone and dynamics. Try it for you self if you like. Take the JCM800 and turn the input trim down and see if you can get it to sound and feel like the plexi model. You can get close to the clean tone but once you start overdriving the circuit, all bets are off.

Use the JTM 45 model, it has lower gain. Start with a boost in front like an FET set medium and then drive at 2-3, you'll get there.

Back
Top Bottom