How to route my Axe Fx 3 in my rack

JasonFuzz

Dear Fractal forum.
Well, I own the Fractal Axe Fx 3 MKII Turbo with the FC12 controller -> And it sounds very great through my Apollo Twin X -> Yamaha HS7 monitors

But I also have a rack system that contains - samson powerstrip for power contribution -> soundsculpure switchblade -> Rocktron Chameleon -> Mesa Boogie TriAxis -> Behringer Dualfex Pro for boosting :> T.C. Electronics G-System for putting effects on my triaxis patches and also for controlling my presets. And also goes to an 2:100 mesa power amp and goes to an Marshall 1960 Lead Cabinet

But I recently bought the Mesa Boogie 2:90. Because of searching the sound of one of my dads and also mine favorite guitarplayer.. (he basically used the TriAxis preamp with the 2:90 poweramp -> with marshall cabs loaded with vintage 30’s. This was the gear he used 94-2000.. So I will sell my 2:100.

Well, now I have 2 different “setups”.
So my quest is, to have 1 setup. But I don’t know how to route everything? I hope that somebody can help me out with it.

So I have my chameleon presets dialed in into the fractal. So I can sell also my rocktron chameleon chameleon blackface with the g-system.

So I want to have my fractal controlled al my “patches” / presets. For example. patch 400 is fully made with the axe fx. No evolving of the TriAxis and 2:90. Patch 401 is my preset that controls the TriAxis patch I made with the 2:90. And added effects from the axe fx.

Hope someone can help me with it.
1000 times thanks!

Hi!

Like said before, without knowing the sound you’re trying achieve is a little complicated.

However, there are some wizards on this forum. Maybe Cooper Carter may help you in a professional way.

May you excuse me if I say something?
With all the Axe-Fx III power and versatility, maybe you don't need to hold and use all the gear you describe…

Like unix-guy said, 4 cable model is a good start.

On the voodoo lab site you will find some smart routes for your signal. Search for GCX and Ground control Pro.

https://voodoolab.com/product/gcx-audio-switcher/

https://voodoolab.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/13-Feedthru_and_You.pdf

There are others worksheets can help you.

All the best!

Do you think that you might be better served by trying to get all your sounds out of your axefx instead of going on a journey with loads of outboard gear headaches, trying to integrate two systems?

I find it hard to believe that you couldn't just do everything with the axefx, power amp and cab, be totally happy with the sound, and avoid the headache (and the bulk) of using loads of gear.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for all your input.. well the sound I’m looking for is from the band “Royal Hunt” live 1996 and 1997. I will add the YouTube link here in this post.

For clean:

As for the 1997 concert he uses the same setup but with rented mesa boogie cabs.

Also in 1999. I guess he is using an TriAxis and Marshall cabs.. but he sound bit different.

Thanks
Tim

What kind of sound are you looking for?

"Doesn't matter, it just has to be easy to bury it under loads of keyboards and harmony vocals"

You're gonna need to run 4 amps for that, I'm afraid.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Hi…

The Axe-Fx III can do this sound.

It’s a different approach from a real amp. You will need to use some PEQs (see Cooper Carter and Leon videos on G66). So, probably you will don’t need some gears that you have now. And you will need to attempt to two dudes (fletcher and Munson).

About the route, choose the gear thinking on its purpose. Then, locate the gear, at this initial point, as the traditional:

Guitar, wah, filter, comp, drive, (pitch), amp, (pitch), cab, EQ, modulation, delay, reverb.

Use the Voodoo Lab worksheet for planning the place where every effect will be insert.

Midi will control all digital.
If some gear only had switch, you will need a GCX (or something similar).

But, again, Axe can do this sound, is way more light.

I didn’t know the band. I will check today.

All the best!

What kind of sound are you looking for?

"Doesn't matter, it just has to be easy to bury it under loads of keyboards and harmony vocals"

You're gonna need to run 4 amps for that, I'm afraid.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

That is a good point to pay attention (keyboards and cut in a mix).

But you can get greats results with PEQ block and input PEQ on amp block and filter on cab block.

Hope you get your sound.

All the best!

By the way, I have liked the band. Thanks!

Hi Searchsound,

As for reaching out the fletcher and Munson EQ.. is that a standard EQ.. or is it a way to dial it in?

As for making this sound? Wouldt you suggest to make them with the fractal only? So creating the amp block with the TriAxis red lead 2 (rhythm) and rhythm 1 green mode (for clean)? As for cab block? Marshall V30? Which one shouldt you suggest?

Thanks for your input here!!

Tim

Last edited:
Hi Searchsound,

As for reaching out the fletcher and Munson EQ.. is that a standard EQ.. or is it a way to dial it in?

As for making this sound? Wouldt you suggest to make them with the fractal only? So creating the amp block with the TriAxis red lead 2 (rhythm) and rhythm 1 green mode (for clean)? As for cab block? Marshall V30? Which one shouldt you suggest?

Thanks for your input here!!

Tim
Hi jasonFuzz…

(Question 1)

Oh, if there was a EQ or a Fletcher Munson block will be awesome.

Like Unix-guy said, you will need to dial or presets in band volume.

However, there is some shortcuts to help a little:

A) increase 770 freq (Q350),
B) PEQ at the end blocking all below 80 and above 7000 (approx)
C) the same on filter inside cab block
D) increase 2000 freq when the solo…
E) play at home with backing track, record and listen on others phons and pods.

But you always will need to check the sound when the rehearsal and adjust something.

There are a great Cooper Carter video on G66.
There are another’s on YouTube.

(Question 2)

I didn’t try the mesa cabs on fractal III.
I upgrade some time ago.

But I used to get great sound on Axe II with cabs 43 ad 44.

On Axe III, I do a blend with legacy 43 and 44 (Axe II cabs).
If I want distorted sound, most 43. If I want more clean, most 44.
And always there is a chance to blend with factory 1 (to get more mids) or another clean cab.

Triaxis is a good model. And don’t forget mark iv with fat engaged.

Oh, and a mark V curve on amp block will help as well. Something like 4, 1,5, -3,5, 2 3.

You will need to walk the learning curve, but is very fun.

All the best!

Oh I almost forgot.
Fremen has great presets. You can learn a lot exploring them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom