How to remove power amp distortion without removing the poweramp?

ByTheHandOf

Inspired
For the last months or so I have my axe hooked up to a Mesa std 2x12 through my power amp (w power amp- and cab sim disengaged), and have been tweaking away.

I am really happy with the sounds I have come up with, and wanted to record some stuff, which I do with IR +cab and power amp modeling engaged.
I have a channel with a Bassguy '59 boosted by the od 808 to give a slight crunch, that I especially love. When to record, I tried out all cabs, but the sound never came nowhere near what I hear from my mesa. It is more gritty and harsh sounding no matter what cab i tried. When comparing, I concluded that the sound in my DAW have more distortion, so I messed around with deactivating power amp modeling/Supply sag and boom: I now hear the sweet tones, I hear from my cab. I am, though, missing the warmth and fatness the power amp usually provides, so I ask:

Is there a way to get a completely dry (distortion wise) sound from the power amp, or at least turn this down? Or is it just the pwr amp on the Bassguy that distorts so much?

typically you reduce the Master Volume to reduce Power Amp distortion. but i think the "warmth" you get from the power amp is actually due to distortion (even just a bit), which gives a reduction in the high end usually. so you need to find that threshold where it doesn't distort, yet isn't completely flat.

Also, an this particular preset, there is a huge difference in volume when i turn the power amp sim on/off, which I haven't experienced an any of the other sounds I have tweaked into the last months time.

typically you reduce the Master Volume to reduce Power Amp distortion. but i think the "warmth" you get from the power amp is actually due to distortion (even just a bit), which gives a reduction in the high end usually. so you need to find that threshold where it doesn't distort, yet isn't completely flat.

Though i tried everything, but without having time to start up my system and try, I am rather sure you are right. Guess i couldn't see the forest for the trees :)
Thanx, you rock!!

You could avoid vintage amps that get their tone from the poweramp (high master vol as default) and change to modern amps that get their tone from the preamp (low master vol as default)?
You can change the preamp type then, so you can have your vintage preamp with a modern poweramp when your preamp is available as preamp type.

How about the master volume trim? That should have less effect on the tone other than the warmth light distortion gives.

I find a PEQ with a -3 to -4 db cut with Q 3.6 at 200hz in front of the amp block can reduce unwanted power amp distortion.

By cutting the low mids before the amp, the amp doesn't have to work as hard.

Start with those settings then sweep the frequency and adjust the depth of the cut to taste by ear.

Back
Top Bottom