how to:recording with a usb connection into cuebase

paullypj

Inspired
Can someone explain to me in detail / or list ALL and EVERYTHING STEP BY STEP i need to do in order to play / record my axfx 2 through my computer using my usb connection. I have a motu 828 mk3 firewire interface , windows 7 64 bit os , cubase 5, axefx2. and no brain. Please explain it like u were talking to a moron.

thanks

A little confused, your thread title says help with a USB connection to Cubase and your interface as the Motu 828 MK3, isn't that FireWire only??? If you want to connect your Axe directly to your PC and have it recognized in Cubase you might try the following:

1. Download the AxeFX2 driver for windows: http://fractalaudio.com/downloads/drivers/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx_II_USB_Driver_Setup.exe
2. Download Axe Edit: http://fractalaudio.com/downloads/axe-edit/Axe-Edit_Setup_1_0_211.exe
3. Install the AxeFX2 driver on your machine with the AxeFX2 disconnected from the PC. If you've already got the Axe connected via USB, disconnect it.
4. Once the AxeFX2 driver is installed on your machine, connect it up via USB while the Axe is powered on.
5. Windows should recognize the interface, do its little song and dance and then settle back down.
6. Launch Cubase.
7. Go into Devices and then Device Setup.
8. In the VST Audio System, check the ASIO Driver drop down menu and select "AxeFX USB ASIO Driver" or whatever the exact name is.
9. Once selected, click Apply. Leave other options on the page at their default for the time being.
10. If there are no issues, it'll give you some general latency settings for input/output and an HW Sample Rate.
11. Below the VST Audio System you should now have the "AxeFX ASIO Driver" or whatever name, available to click.
12. Click on it and it'll give you a layout of inputs/outputs available and whether they are active/inactive. I believe they should all be Active. Just know that it's there for tweaking later, but for now, leave it alone.
13. Click OK to get out of the Device Setup window.
14. In Cubase, click Devices and then VST Connections.
15. In the window that opens you should see two tabs, Input and Output, Output might be the default that pops open.
16. Regardless, click on the Input tab and verify that Stereo In is present and that Audio driver has "AxeFX USB ASIO" selected and the device port is mapped to the AxeFX.
17. Click on the Output tab and verify the same settings are present, Audio is Stereo, AxeFX driver is there and device port is there as well.
18. Add an analog audio track to an existing project or create a new project in Cubase and add the track
19. Verify Input is set as "Stereo In" (same as from your Devices\VST Connections list)
20. Verify Output is set as "Stereo" (same as from your Device\VST Connections list)

The idea is, the AxeFX should be recognized by your machine via the ASIO drivers. Cubase should now see the device and *know* to use it based on what you did in the
Device Setup window. The project you're working with should now have recordable audio via USB because of the changes you just made/verified in the VST Connections
window. If the ASIO driver you select isn't working, isn't installed correctly or something else, you'll get 0ms for latency numbers or an outright "failed to open ASIO Device" error in
Cubase. I have no experience with the Motu stuff so I can't help you hook that up and get it working in Cubase.

For reference on mine, I'm using Win7 64 Bit, Cubase Elements 6 and *had* the AxeFX2 hooked up via USB to the PC. Output 1 stereo went to my monitors (KRK's) and Output 2
was sent to my QSC K10's. I would then put an FX Loop block in each patch as the *last* block (side chained or parallel) to send audio to my QSC's. In my I/O section on the
Axe, I had both Output 1 and Output 2 set to Stereo, Input 1 and 2 mode set to Left only and Main Input source as (Analog In 1), Input 1 Left Select: Front.

I know there's other ways of hooking this thing up, that's just how I did it and it worked fine. I have since hooked up a Mackie Blackjack Onyx that I use as my interface instead of the
Axe going directly to the PC. It too (with some trial/error) works for me.

Good luck!

WOW thank u thank u thank you should work for fractal. Why is it that this type of explicit well written explanation is not included in the manual ( although the 2 s manual is much better than the ultra and still worlds ahead of any tech manual written by a Japanese or Chinese company)

WOW thank u thank u thank you should work for fractal. Why is it that this type of explicit well written explanation is not included in the manual ( although the 2 s manual is much better than the ultra and still worlds ahead of any tech manual written by a Japanese or Chinese company)

For Fractal to actually include instructions for every iteration of computer/interface/OS Version/Recording software version, it would have to be the size of Microsoft. This is why this forum exists. Usually someone can help you here, but as usual, there is no substitute for reading the documentation and doing it yourself. Learning the reasons for all the things in those steps will help you make changes later...

Ron

Back
Top Bottom