How to record this AxeFx 2 rig

Billbill

Power User
Hey all you seasoned studio/recording experienced guys, help me out here:
Need some advise. I use the AxeFx for its tonal capabilities and never paid much attention to the benefits of direct recording I guess you can say I use an old school approach to setting up tone and that's cranked LoUd because my jam volume is almost as loud as band volume. I don't don't play direct through any monitors or anything like that. To complicate things more it's ran stereo, patches tweaked for this for a large separation stereo sound. If I record direct it's a nightmare re-tweak fest-no good:( I guess I'm missing that amp/cab rumbling rooms effect or "amp in room" as I think they say lol and all that stereo width.
Current rig is guitar>some pedals>axe>Mgt1000fx>2 OPPC212 cabs> one SM57 mic into a cheap $40 Presinus interface>GarageBand.
What do I need to capture my huge rig sound and other sm57 mic, room mics? A better interface? Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If I can get help I'll share all my glorious Deftones patches as they've been resurrected lol. Thx

What is the current SM57 used for?
Mic for cab, but I think I need a second for the other cab, and possibly a room mic. Not even sure if this is possible without any isolation...2 cabs 10ft apart each with a mic and a room mic all in one room...

Hi @Billbill
Definitely get at least one mic on both cabs. Direct recording will be no good unless you use a cab block, and route to another output. You may want to look at trying this.
Close mic the best sounding speaker in each cab. I like to start just off the side of the dust cap, on the inner part of the cone. As you move the mike towards the outside of the speaker it will get ‘warmer’ and less defined, but also least shrill (if that’s a problem).
If the 2 cabs with one mic ain’t doing it for you, try another mic a few feet from each cab… spill may become a problem.
Thanks
Pauly

Hey all you seasoned studio/recording experienced guys, help me out here:
Need some advise. I use the AxeFx for its tonal capabilities and never paid much attention to the benefits of direct recording I guess you can say I use an old school approach to setting up tone and that's cranked LoUd because my jam volume is almost as loud as band volume. I don't don't play direct through any monitors or anything like that. To complicate things more it's ran stereo, patches tweaked for this for a large separation stereo sound. If I record direct it's a nightmare re-tweak fest-no good:( I guess I'm missing that amp/cab rumbling rooms effect or "amp in room" as I think they say lol and all that stereo width.
Current rig is guitar>some pedals>axe>Mgt1000fx>2 OPPC212 cabs> one SM57 mic into a cheap $40 Presinus interface>GarageBand.
What do I need to capture my huge rig sound and other sm57 mic, room mics? A better interface? Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If I can get help I'll share all my glorious Deftones patches as they've been resurrected lol. Thx

Mic for cab, but I think I need a second for the other cab, and possibly a room mic. Not even sure if this is possible without any isolation...2 cabs 10ft apart each with a mic and a room mic all in one room...
to record both cabs, you'll need 2 mics, one for each cab. not sure you'll "need" a room mic, unless you want to add a room mic to the mix. you could just record the 2 cabs traditionally - close to the cab - and it should work out fine.

So if I get two mics then I need a mic pre to go between the mics and my MacBook DAW.
1)Any recommendations for one that has multiple inputs?
2) would each cab/mic be a separate track in GarageBand and then just blend them together?

So if I get two mics then I need a mic pre to go between the mics and my MacBook DAW.
1)Any recommendations for one that has multiple inputs?
2) would each cab/mic be a separate track in GarageBand and then just blend them together?
Scarlett 2i2 if on a budget
If you record a single stereo track it'll be one, if you record to two tracks with each having a mono input, you'll have two.

Make sure the tracks are in phase.

Last edited:
Make sure the tracks are in phase.
Thanks for the heads up. I heard about audio "waves" canceling each other out resulting in thin sounding guff. Do you any recommendations as far as how to verify things are in phase or any good reads on it?

Thanks for the heads up. I heard about audio "waves" canceling each other out resulting in thin sounding guff. Do you any recommendations as far as how to verify things are in phase or any good reads on it?
Invert one of the tracks 180 degrees and adjust the delay on the track until you're as close to "null" as possible, where there's the least amount of phase cancellation

Back
Top Bottom