How to program MIDI changes

sidsin

Inspired
Hi guys!

Just wanted to understand how can I program the preset/scene changes through my laptop while performing on stage?

Thanks,
Sid

You will have to hook up a 5 pin Midi cable from your laptop to the Midi IN port of the AXE FX

Look at Chapter 12 of the User Manual "Midi/Remote Menu" for how to configure your Axe FX to receive Midi from your DAW
Look at Chapter 15 of the user manual "MIDI Reference Tables" and CC value to Scene for the actual values

Instead of midi cables, I would just Connect your laptop to you axe via usb. Then create a midi track in your daw that sends the proper cc and pc commands depending on what you are trying to do. The manual has all of the #s that correspond to particular presets and what not. For this to work, you’ll need to be playing to a click or back tracks so the scene/preset changes happen at the correct time

Instead of midi cables, I would just Connect your laptop to you axe via usb. Then create a midi track in your daw that sends the proper cc and pc commands depending on what you are trying to do. The manual has all of the #s that correspond to particular presets and what not. For this to work, you’ll need to be playing to a click or back tracks so the scene/preset changes happen at the correct time
Have you actually got it to work over USB? I have tried the opposite over USB that is axe fx midi block out to laptop midi in over USB but that is not supported.

I am about to setup midi for live play. I will be using a midi cable from a LP16 player.

it is basically simple I would think - send the correct channel, system values and program changes at the needed time.

Have you actually got it to work over USB? I have tried the opposite over USB that is axe fx midi block out to laptop midi in over USB but that is not supported.
Yes I use this exclusively for patch/scene changes live. I use a Surface Pro running Reaper. Hooked up via usb. I do not use the MIDI block at all.

Midi coming in over USB works. Midi out over USB from the Midi Block does not.

I am about to setup midi for live play. I will be using a midi cable from a LP16 player.

it is basically simple I would think - send the correct channel, system values and program changes at the needed time.

Conley did you get that to work with the LP16?

My band uses a Cymatic utrack-24 and I'm wondering of doing the same.

Do you write those changes in a midi track in your DAW then save it as a midi track? Put that track on the LP16 player and send it over midi cable to your Fractal device?

Conley did you get that to work with the LP16?

My band uses a Cymatic utrack-24 and I'm wondering of doing the same.

Do you write those changes in a midi track in your DAW then save it as a midi track? Put that track on the LP16 player and send it over midi cable to your Fractal device?
Never pursued it any further - the drummer runs the unit and he said that he is only playing the SB16 with audio - I know there are timing and sync processes in the background and did not want to pressure him about it. Sorry. :(

Just confirming that no dedicated MIDI interface is needed … the USB connection does the trick just fine.

I use a dedicated MacBook Pro running Logic or Digital Performer … in addition to preset/scene changes, you can automate pretty much anything you can imagine … lots of fun.

I just love having the computer change presets for me while I’m playing along with backing tracks!

Back
Top Bottom