How to practically level presets for Live Playing

jcfiallos

Inspired
Hi folks,
I have this onggoing question, when I play live some presets sound lower than others, so I would like to received any good input on how to efficiently level them, using the preset leveling option, what db to aim for, and how to go about it!.

thanks any help appreciated

There are a bunch of conversations on this in the forum but I just use the meters on my Out blocks and make sure they are not going way into the red. My boost will go over the red but not by much. Haven’t had any issues with things being out of balance across my presets.

Once I get them visually leveled as described above by @Brian Coonan, I try to check their relative volumes against current live presets by playing along with some YouTube backing tracks, if I can. You'd be surprised by the difference between the isolated perceived relative volume and the perceived relative volume in a mix context. Mixing can be more about adjusting EQ than about adjusting levels. I leave them maybe a bit louder so that I have the option to back them off a bit using my 'Volume' expression pedal, at a live show.

Since we never rehearse, the final step is to play out live, hopping that I am at least close, and use my volume expression pedal to pull them back, if needed. Them make mental notes about which were too loud or too quiet. Make those edits at home, and do it again, till no edits are needed.

Once you have a large pool of live presets, it gets easier to match up any new ones at home. Firmware updates often mess this all up!o_O

Last edited:
I agree with Moke here. Playing along with tracks, can give you lots of perspective on your patches. It's close to what you will experience live...or at least a step closer.

Lots can be accomplished with the mids and getting control of the low end.

I use the preset levelling tool in AxeEdit, but I never thought of levelling against a track. Good idea.

As others have stated, use the preset leveling tool and also make sure to monitor loudly at home when leveling out your presets. You should always dial in your presets at the volume you plan on performing live.

Lastly, to add, either:
1) Add scene levels sliders to a performance page so you can adjust on the fly live
2) Add a scene level adjustment increment/decrement to a layout so you can adjust incrementally and save on the fly
3) Add an amp level adjustment incremend/decrement to a layout so you can adjust incrementally and save on the fly

I have found an easy way to make all my presets/scenes the same level….
1. Using the preset leveling tool, and using the scene volume adjustments in the Output block, adjust volumes so they touch the red.
2. I attached one of the small knob expression pedals and programmed it as a global volume, keeping it at full volume as I adjust scene levels to touch the red.
3. When I get to a gig and turn on the Fractal, I turn down the expression knob so it turns down all the presets about 10 db. This is just so I don’t go into the red….just in case.
4. I’ve done this at about 50 gigs in the past 12 months and have never had an issue with presets/scenes at different levels.

Attachments

• IMG_6462.jpeg
    IMG_6462.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
In the end for me it was taking notes on volume/fx level issues at gigs, and making minor tweaks until everything felt right.

I gigged with a Standard for 8 years. And like has been said above, once you have a pool of presets that work, it's easier to compare new patches to a similar one.

One thing that was always true for me was the cleaner a patch was, the more it could cut through because it was less compressed than higher gain sounds. Some compression on cleaner sounds after the amp block helped with that, just like you might do in the studio on a mix. Compression before the amp as an effect when necessary.

sometimes you need to adjust the volume of individual sets of frequencies, rather than the entire frequency spectrum.

My preferred method. In the real world your band can play quieter or louder depending on the song, so the best way is to do it with them, in a rehearshal room. Or even live at a gig.

1683862490992.png

Some compression on cleaner sounds after the amp block helped with that, just like you might do in the studio on a mix.
Do you mean setting the Out Compression in the Amp block Dynamics tab? If not, i'm interested in what Compressor block types/settings would be suitable for this or even end-of-chain compression...

Do you mean setting the Out Compression in the Amp block Dynamics tab? If not, i'm interested in what Compressor block types/settings would be suitable for this or even end-of-chain compression...
I just meant a few db's using a compressor block after the amp block. But the dynamics control in the amp block sounds like an interesting way to do a similar thing.

I use the OUT block meters to get a rough setting. Then I record rehearsal with my new scenes on my X32 Rack which is also my IEM rig. I then mix down the show and see if any scene/effect changes are where they should be in the mix so there's no need for the FOH engineer to ride my faders all night.

Back
Top Bottom