How to Pack up Amps to Ship

guitarjim

Experienced
I am getting ready to part with a few of my old amps and I do not have the original boxes for any of them. Any advice on locating heavy duty boxes or how to pack up the amps so that they are protected during shipment? I don't want to give a buyer any reason to not accept their purchase.

I do not live near a major city, so I don't have box manufacturers around me.

Thanks.

I shipped a Fender prosonic combo from Indiana to California a year back. It's a 60 lb amp. I completely double boxed it with closed cell foam very similar to the way new ones come. cab in a plastic bag, 2 inch foam corners, extra pieces of flat cardboard over the grill cloth, all the tubes pulled and bubble wrapped in there own small box., First box taped tight. Then I repeated the foam corners, boxing, and taping for a second box. Snug as a bug.

I made the foam corners from random scraps I got at Guitar Center. I went asking if they had any old shipping materials and they gave me permission to go dumpster diving, lol. Probably used $7 worth of tape. It was an ORDEAL but I was completely confident that if somebody tossed the box from the back of a truck the amp would be fine and it was.

You want a double walled box- you can tell the difference- that's a big help with weight and safety...

Double boxing doesn't hurt either- and bubble wrap and paper is good to fill the void.

Put the tubes in a separate box labeled- number them and draw a little diagram to show where each came

Back
Top Bottom