How to make a WAH also give you a clean Boost??

Dealmaker

Inspired
Guys,

99% of the time I use my WAH at a gig is because I am doing a solo piece.....so I have figured out (thanks for your Videos Chris!) how to assign my Mission pedal to make it into a WAH.....

....BUT...is there any way to have your WAH (auto engage - spring loaded in my case) - also give you some clean boost circa say 5dB ???? Would save me having to hit another pedal in the lead up to solo...:D

Set up a null filter block with the amount of boost you want after the amp and cab. Set its bypass the same as your wah's. This will give you a boost every time you engage the wah.
Hope that helps.

Set the output level of the wah block to +5dB, which will boost the signal level when the wah auto-engages. It will give you more amp gain, which you may or may not want, but save using another block

Don't forget too that the Wah has a level (volume) output control, so a wah before an amp can boost the overall signal into the amp as well as another option.

I usually run my Wah at +3db output rather than zero to make sure it punches through.

Don't forget too that the Wah has a level (volume) output control, so a wah before an amp can boost the overall signal into the amp as well as another option.

I usually run my Wah at +3db output rather than zero to make sure it punches through.
Yes, but the OP asked for a wah +clean boost. If you turn the wah block level up, it will hit in the input of the amp block harder, and wont be as clean.

Thanks everyone - a few good solutions here - so thats great!

Ideally I wanted to replicate what my MXR Line Booster does in my "old" pedal board.....which is a clean 5dB Boost in the effects loop - but after the pre-amp..........

So seems Funerals suggestion would do that (once I figure out how to do it!!!) - BUT I also like the other ideas and that might work for certain patches where some added drive would also be good!!! (A few Thin Lizzy numbers come to mind!)

For the boost to auto-engage/disengage with the wah you'll have to assign the pedal to one of its parameters, using the same auto-engage settings and setting min/max to the intended value for that parameter. For example, you can use a balance modifier w/ min & max both at 0 (center).

I put my boost last-so it only boosts the output and doesnt modify anything else before it in the chain. Of course, you can also boost any freq you want at the same time. I just leave it flat though.

wahboost1.jpg

An example patch-the wahGEQ is the last thing in the list. I use 3DB because I also use a little wah boost on the wah setup. Dont remember who posted this patch, but it sounds really cool!

And this looks exactly the same on the wah control setup-except for the min/max of course.
wahboost2.jpg

My auto-on is set to 95%, but as long as both your wah and GEQ agree, the 5% mode should be fine as well.

Back
Top Bottom