How to Install Chop Tones IRs

WeaponX0240

Hello Gang,

I am new to the fractal world. I have a brand new Axe FX III. That being said, Im trying to learn how to do certain things. I recently downloaded the Zakk Wylde cab pack from Chop Tones. I thought that once I received the files from them it would be as easy as using AxeChange. I was wrong. The installation instructions weren't very detailed. Especially for new users to the digital world. Has someone purchased anything from Chop Tones and could tell me how to install the amp/cabs/presets? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If they're in .wav or .syx format open the Cab Manager in Edit and either:
  • drag them individually, or en-masse, to the slots.
  • Browse to the containing folder on your disk from the browser pane (on the left) and select and drag to the destination slots.
Be aware that if you decide to rearrange their order once you've assigned IRs to presets, that reordering them will not be automatically fixed-up. In other words, the Cab block only knows the IR by its slot number, so if it moves you'll have to manually reconnect it. (That's been discussed and wishes requested asking for an improved mechanism that would automatically keep them linked correctly.)

While there are IRs in AxeChange, vendors won't have them available there, and instead they'll deliver them electronically to you via .zip'd .wav files.

If they're in .wav or .syx format open the Cab Manager in Edit and either:
  • drag them individually, or en-masse, to the slots.
  • Browse to the containing folder on your disk from the browser pane (on the left) and select and drag to the destination slots.
Be aware that if you decide to rearrange their order once you've assigned IRs to presets, that reordering them will not be automatically fixed-up. In other words, the Cab block only knows the IR by its slot number, so if it moves you'll have to manually reconnect it. (That's been discussed and wishes requested asking for an improved mechanism that would automatically keep them linked correctly.)

While there are IRs in AxeChange, vendors won't have them available there, and instead they'll deliver them electronically to you via .zip'd .wav files.
Thanks man. Appreciate the feedback. However they sent like three folders. Cabs, IR, and Rigs. They also sent a read me file which I did as they were the instructions however didn’t make sense to me. It does say that in the “Cabs” folder I would find the IRS used, and to attach them to the proper patch. They listed the examples as well.

I guess my point is why isn’t it as easy as using axechange. A simple drag and drop and play.

Thanks man. Appreciate the feedback. However they sent like three folders. Cabs, IR, and Rigs. They also sent a read me file which I did as they were the instructions however didn’t make sense to me. It does say that in the “Cabs” folder I would find the IRS used, and to attach them to the proper patch. They listed the examples as well.

I guess my point is why isn’t it as easy as using axechange. A simple drag and drop and play.
Because their files are copyrighted and proprietary and there's no protection mechanism for them on AxeChange, and they probably support more than Fractal's products, so it fits their workflow.

Personally, I very seldom use AxeChange. Importing from disk is a LOT easier and faster.

In Edit, open Tools > Manage Presets. The window will allow you to install/remove/move presets. Click on the Cabs:… tab and you can do the same there. Click the partially-shaded button on the far left if the browser pane isn't open, then either drag their folder to that pane or navigate to it. I'm sure you can figure it out from there.

To help explain my predicament, here are the instructions they provided:

CHOPTONES AMP MATCHING PACK FOR FRACTAL AXE FX III SERIES

Directs (DXX)

Directs Matching - Use them with your favourite cab, or using a real Poweramp and Cabinet

Raw (RXX)

Matched using a real cabinet and microphoning

Processed (PXX)

Processed patches using Directs and Raw patches and our effect choice, ready to play!

For an optimal use never change the amp model on your Axe FX-3.

This Amp Matching pack contains patch made using Custom Choptones IRs!

In the “Cabs” folder you will find the IRs used, please attach them to the proper patch!

Match patch name with IR name

Es.

Patch IR

CT-Brit800ZW-R04 CT-Brit800ZW-R04

CT-Brit800ZW-D04 CT-Brit800ZW-D04

CT-Brit800ZW-P04R CT-Brit800ZW-R04

Patch list with the proper IR:

CT-Brit800ZW-P08D BritJC82V30E_NV_609_57_Mix1

CT-Brit800ZW-P04D BritJC82V30E_NV_609_421_Mix1

IRs Description:

Based on a Marshall 4x12 1982 loaded with Celestion V30 UK, Sennheiser MD421 and E609, Shure SM57 for microphoning.

Hello, in all patches you must load the CAB having the same name, as you could see in the examples.
Moreover, Processed patches might require the Cab + the IR. Just follow the instructions available in the Readme.

Hello, in all patches you must load the CAB having the same name, as you could see in the examples.
Moreover, Processed patches might require the Cab + the IR. Just follow the instructions available in the Readme.
My point is that your “instructions” are not user friendly to those of us who are new to the digital world of amp modelers. You might as well be speaking Italian to me when it comes to that “Read Me” file. What I need is a step by step.

And I’m sorry if that came across like a dick. I just frustrated that I purchased something expecting it to be easily installed and playable right away and I’m struggling with it.

For external presets with custom IRs, it's kind of a three step process - I think that may be the part that is causing some confusion...

1 - You load the presets via drag and drop (Tools ->Manage Presets)
2 - Load cabs via drag and drop (Tools -> Manage Cabs)
3 - THEN, you gotta map the presets to the cabs unless you are able to load the custom cabs in the same slots as the designer. The preset instructions should tell you which presets get which cabs so you can find them by name. Map in the cab block Cab tab -> picker for each cab block/slot for each preset.

If you don't remap the cabs then you'll end up with whatever cab happens to be in the slot on your Axe, which is most likely different than what the designer has in that slot on their axe - unless you are using factory cabs. In other words, your cab slot User 1 #148 isn't the same cab as his so you need to align manually.

Hope that helps!

Also, be aware you may only be able to download the files once or twice. If you lose the files after this, they will likely make you pay for them again.

Those instructions they provide are indeed unhelpful for inexperienced users, and that 'read the instructions' reply tells you all you need to know about how much they care.

For external presets with custom IRs, it's kind of a three step process - I think that may be the part that is causing some confusion...

1 - You load the presets via drag and drop (Tools ->Manage Presets)
2 - Load cabs via drag and drop (Tools -> Manage Cabs)
3 - THEN, you gotta map the presets to the cabs unless you are able to load the custom cabs in the same slots as the designer. The preset instructions should tell you which presets get which cabs so you can find them by name. Map in the cab block Cab tab -> picker for each cab block/slot for each preset.

If you don't remap the cabs then you'll end up with whatever cab happens to be in the slot on your Axe, which is most likely different than what the designer has in that slot on their axe - unless you are using factory cabs. In other words, your cab slot User 1 #148 isn't the same cab as his so you need to align manually.

Hope that helps!
What's confusing is that they sent two IRs that are in WAV format. Do I drop those in to the manage presets?

What's confusing is that they sent two IRs that are in WAV format. Do I drop those in to the manage presets?
Those would go in "manage Cabs" - they are Cab files and the Axe will convert them. Then you can map to them in the actual preset(s).

Back
Top Bottom