How to handle direct FOH and on stage power amp cab....

sick pickle

Inspired
Scenario:

Live gig setup - Output 1 direct to FOH and output 3 feeding an on stage Power Amp/Cabinet combo (like an SD Powerstage and Mesa 2x12).

Looking at the manual and the guidance here (from Cliff, etc.) if you are using a power amp and cabinet, you should change the value of the output mode in the amp block to SS Per Amp + Cab.
CleanShot 2023-03-06 at 11.33.47@2x.png

However, wouldn't this impact the sound of the amp/model going directly to FOH from Out1? What is the best way to handle this? Is Having 2 amp blocks for each scenario the only way to really handle this? Is this even something to care about? Thoughts?

One way to do this is to have a cab block at the end of the grid and branch of out 3 right before the cab block. Personally I like to run reverbs and delays after the cab block. The FM9 would allow this because it supports two reverb blocks so you would split after the amp block, run the first path through a cab/reverb/delay into out 1, and the second path though dedicated reverb/delay blocks into out 3. Add a volume block into that path to control your stage volume via an expression pedal.

One way to do this is to have a cab block at the end of the grid and branch of out 3 right before the cab block. Personally I like to run reverbs and delays after the cab block. The FM9 would allow this because it supports two reverb blocks so you would split after the amp block, run the first path through a cab/reverb/delay into out 1, and the second path though dedicated reverb/delay blocks into out 3. Add a volume block into that path to control your stage volume via an expression pedal.
Interesting. This is more to do with the amp block, rather than Cab block? If you need to change this output mode to accommodate both, you would need two separate amp blocks with the same model, but with separate settings?

From the wiki : "MAKE SURE YOU SET THE OUTPUT MODE OF THE AMP BLOCK TO "SS PWR AMP + CAB". The default output mode assumes the speaker is a monitor-type speaker. It models the compression of the guitar speaker and transient response and assumes the reproduction speaker is "ideal". SS PWR AMP + CAB mode turns off the speaker modeling aspect because you're using a real guitar speaker."

This means you will want to leave it set to FRFR for FOH. You could use a 2nd amp block set to SS pwr amp + cab, but you should try it in FRFR mode first to see if it still sounds right to you (unless, of course, you don't need the 2nd amp block otherwise).

I run mostly this exact setup, output 1 to FOH and output 3 to Mesa 20/20 + 4x12 cab, and I leave the amp block on "SS Per Amp + Cab". I feel it's more important to get the proper sound to FOH and I just accept whatever additional colouration this adds to my onstage sound through my cab.

I run mostly this exact setup, output 1 to FOH and output 3 to Mesa 20/20 + 4x12 cab, and I leave the amp block on "SS Per Amp + Cab". I feel it's more important to get the proper sound to FOH and I just accept whatever additional colouration this adds to my onstage sound through my cab.

In that case you should “FRFR” instead because that’s optimized for a direct signal (FOH).

I know I'm getting 2x the power amp modeling this way, but in practice no one is listening to that cab except for the drummer. I could even do away with the cab completely because I use IEM which listen to the FOH signal.

Back
Top Bottom