How to get this John Mayer tone?

mobizoid

Inspired
I would love to be able have a preset with this John Mayer tone. The solo that starts at 5:00 Someone told me that he is using a Mini POG. I don't know where to begin with my new Axe FX XL. I am hoping to get some help or a preset from one of you experts out there in Axe land.

Nice Preset. Does anyone know how to tweak it, to also get some serious low end at the same time? to get a ZZ Top / Billy Gibbons tone from "I Gotsta Get Paid"..??

Nice Preset. Does anyone know how to tweak it, to also get some serious low end at the same time? to get a ZZ Top / Billy Gibbons tone from "I Gotsta Get Paid"..??
Use a different amp, cab and/or drive model? Turn the mix up on the pitch blovk?

Twiddle the knobs. You won't break it.

I don't know if the drive block algorithm is linear or not. If it's not, order matters; it will sound different if you flip their order.

@FractalAudio can answer this definitely for you.

Id be curious to know if this is true. I usually just add blocks where ever but if the order changes the sound i'll have a lot of experimenting to do.

Id be curious to know if this is true. I usually just add blocks where ever but if the order changes the sound i'll have a lot of experimenting to do.

This comment was specific to these two blocks in particular.

Block order definitely affects the sound for some things. As an example, sticking your delay in front of the amp versus after will be different because the effect itself with get some amount of distortion from the amp. Same with chorus... Those are just 2 examples.

This comment was specific to these two blocks in particular.

Block order definitely affects the sound for some things. As an example, sticking your delay in front of the amp versus after will be different because the effect itself with get some amount of distortion from the amp. Same with chorus... Those are just 2 examples.

I see, thanks for the info. Also if thats true why do all the presets i see always have delay after the amp and cab?

I see, thanks for the info. Also if thats true why do all the presets i see always have delay after the amp and cab?

Because after the amp, the delay is not affected by being distorted within the amp. In other words, with this chain:

Guitar -> delay -> amp

You are adding delays which then get various amounts of distortion from the amp. This causes the delay to sound different depending on how much distortion the amp has since it is distorting both the original guitar signal and the delays.

In this chain:

Guitar -> amp -> delay

The delay is added to whatever is fed into it. The delay effect itself is not altered.

Some people prefer the delay before the amp because of the fact that it does change... But I think most don't.

By the way, this is true with actual amps and pedals, not just the Axe Fx.

Try it out for yourself...

Because after the amp, the delay is not affected by being distorted within the amp. In other words, with this chain:

Guitar -> delay -> amp

You are adding delays which then get various amounts of distortion from the amp. This causes the delay to sound different depending on how much distortion the amp has since it is distorting both the original guitar signal and the delays.

In this chain:

Guitar -> amp -> delay

The delay is added to whatever is fed into it. The delay effect itself is not altered.

Some people prefer the delay before the amp because of the fact that it does change... But I think most don't.

By the way, this is true with actual amps and pedals, not just the Axe Fx.

Try it out for yourself...

awesome ill try that out today, sorry for derailing the thread

Practically speaking, there are two reasons to put delay after the AMP and CAB block:

1. It's "more natural" that way -- this is the how you hear reverb and delay in the real world and in the studio it's often applied as a post effect, so after the amp and cabinet are recorded. It keeps the amp and cab from effecting the sound of the repeats.
  2. You want to run a stereo delay. The AMP block is mono and (by default) sums the left and right signals running in to it, collapsing the field of any stereo effect of anything running in to it.
As for effect order: each block is a mathematical function. Some mathematical operations are commutative, it doesn't matter if you do A than B or B than A, you get the same result. Mathematically, we say a function F is commutative if F(x,y) = F(y,x) for all values of x and y. Generally linear functions are commutative, non-linear functions are not, though practically speaking a lot of non-linear functions are reasonably commutative if you round their output off (which our ears are pretty good at doing). For example, there should be a difference running Chorus in to Reverb vs. Reverb in to Chorus, but practically speaking you might not hear it because the difference is very minor unless you get in to extreme configurations of the chorus block's transfer function.

Now I'll wait for someone smarter than me like Cliff to correct my bullshit. :)

Well I ended up tweaking my own preset and I think I got it pretty damn close!. Basically just turned down the reverb and delay and used the GEQ to take out the highs and lows and boost the mids. I am a happy camper now. If you use the GEQ to tweak depending on your guitar's PUPs it works pretty damn good.
Here is the new preset if any of you are interested;
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=3784

Last edited:
Sounds like an octavia to me but could be a pog.. The ultimate octave does it from any pickup but the tychobrae
or original octavia works best on the neck pup only if you note JM is playing on the neck there so it makes me lean towards the tychobrae
octavia... If you listen to one rainy wish by Hendrix you can hear the same type efx.

Back
Top Bottom