How to get more separation in my Reverb/Delay patches

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I find my reverb/delay blocks to sound very lacklustre. (My normal method is to use a series reverb/delay block. I know that some folks like to run them in parallel but I found that made my overall level too loud and I had endless problems trying to get the level back to unity so I gave up on that approach.) My audio path is in mono so I'm unable to use the stereo picture to get separation between the effect and the dry signal. Consequently the ambience just makes the guitar sound muddy and the effect pretty much inaudible until I stop playing and listen to the echo tail. Is there any way besides running in stereo that I can make my reverbs seem more 3-dimensional?

Last edited:
The level issue with delays/reverbs (or pretty much all single effect blocks) in parallel rows is easily dealt with.

3 things to remember:
- Mix at 100%
- Level to taste
- Bypass mode to Mute In.

The first two things are actually the same as when dealing with "real" parallel effects, say a Rocktron Intelliverb in the parallel loop of an amp.

This way you won't get a volume increase of your dry signal.
The Bypass Mode ensures that if you switch the effect off this also doesn't influence the dry signal's level.

Use separate parallel rows for the delay and reverb. If you want a bit of verb on the delay trails, use the Diffusion parameter.

To separate the delay/verb from the dry tone, use a bit of predelay. Or check Radley's reverb thread.

Yeks How Tos - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

Last edited:
I limit the reverb to only certain frequencies using the Low and High Cut. I am currently very muck liking Low Cut at 1440Hz and High Cut at 7900Hz. Less interference with the dry signal. I run effects in parallel and use an expression pedal for mixing them where I want them on any given tune.

Back
Top Bottom