How to get inverse IR of a tube power amp?

ynor

I'm tired of waiting for the Fryette LXII, so I'm gonna try to flatten the response of the power section on my JVM410HJS to use it as a power amp with a 4x12" cab. So how do I make an inverse IR of the power section of the JVM? Will this work:

1) Use the "MIC+DI" technique: Split Out2L. Connect one Out2L to JVM fx-return, JVM speaker out to a Weber MASS with its line out to IN2R and its speaker out to the 4x12" cabinet. Connect the other Out2L to In2L and shoot the IR. The resulting IR should be the inverse of the power amp, and could be inserted as a CAB to compensate for the coloration of the power amp, right?

2) Use Tone Matching. Set up pink noise on the Axe-FX outputs, connect one output to IN1L, connect the other output to JVM fx-return, JVM speaker out to a Weber MASS with its line out to IN2R and its speaker out to the 4x12" cabinet. Do Tone Matching with IN1L as reference and save the result as an IR.

Would this work, and if so, which of the two methods would give the most accurate inverse IR of the power amp in the JVM?

What settings on the JVM power section is most neutral (resonance and presence set to 0)?

Interesting questions! I'd be curious to see the answers too.

Do you want to de-colour the JVM power-amp, so that you can continue to use power-amp modelling in the Axe?

Tone matching is not as precise as mic+DI. Why not use mic+DI with your JVM? Settings don't really matter... I'd probably leave everything on noon.

Back
Top Bottom