How to get a good bass tone with a Standard Axe-Fx

Hey guys, I'm trying to get a good bass tone on my standard axe-fx. I'm primarily a guitarist, but my band's bassist is unable to record so I have to do it myself. I've been doing a lot of searching and it seems like everyone is using the SV Bass amp, so i'm using that with no cab, a tube screamer, studio compressor, eq, and gate and it sounds pretty good, I was just wondering what kind of eq/gate/filter settings I should use to make it sound better. For reference, I really like the bass tones on The Discovery by Born of Osiris, Leveler by August Burns red and Alone by Evan Brewer, so something like that would be awesome.
Thanks!

Run the the amp with the 8x10 cab and then run a guitar amp on a side chain for the distortion. I remember using an hbe and a 4x12.

Run the the amp with the 8x10 cab and then run a guitar amp on a side chain for the distortion. I remember using an hbe and a 4x12.
so just run a clean amp with the 8x10 and then underneath put the distorted guitar amp and cab underneath the main chain?

so just run a clean amp with the 8x10 and then underneath put the distorted guitar amp and cab underneath the main chain?
Yes sir! It's been a long time since I've done it. I haven't had the standard in a while. But I threw an eq on both chains, running the guitar and amp for mids and the bass amp for lows and highs.

dustin from abr used a warwick on pretty much everything up until the last album maybe? i know he switched over to carvin but im not sure how recent it was. the tone on the discovery came from a EBMM bongo 5, the point being a big part of those tones are the bass being played. that said your typical modern bass tone is a split signal (1 super clean to retain the low end, 1 super distorted midrange signal for the glue, i know some people like to have a 3rd with a slightly crunchy tone but i tend to like a simpler setup). use the 8x10 for the clean (the stock IRs are kind of muddy and iffy but they work), shop around the guitar cabs for your distorted tone, be sure to filter out the lows and highs on that track for clarity too. a hefty amount of compression on the front end will do wonders too if youre looking for punch and consistency in note volume, i gravitate towards pedal comp 2 but the studio comp is there if you really wanna get into it

Back
Top Bottom