How to get a 12 string sound?

This is close to what Im trying to get for sure. Just can't get it right. I know the sound I'm going for can be achieved with just the fractal because I seen a video a while back of someone playing through an Axe 2 that sounded just how I like it. For anyone wondering, Im trying to achieve a 12 string electric fade to black live sound from the early 90s.

Unfortunately also this request need an hexaphonic pickup to do a discrete shifting for each string, but the two example above (thanks @GlennO and @luke) can help.
This is the only real solution and the only reason I'd consider a Variax.

The 12 string tuning with octaves on the bottom four strings and unison on the top two means that our current technology can't figure out what to do, so it adds an octave to every note, which doesn't sound right. It's kinda right, and if we only play the bottom four strings it would be right.

Maybe as technologies advance we can have good single-coil and humbucking pickups that are also hexaphonic so we don't have to mount an additional pickup, with some sort of wiring that keeps them discrete with a digital signal path to the modeler. The optical pickups people are working on might be good candidates. The nice thing is they'd be noiseless unless some a-hole in the audience shined an infrared laser at it. :-/

This is close to what Im trying to get for sure. Just can't get it right. I know the sound I'm going for can be achieved with just the fractal because I seen a video a while back of someone playing through an Axe 2 that sounded just how I like it. For anyone wondering, Im trying to achieve a 12 string electric fade to black live sound from the early 90s.
The preset I posted above can get pretty close to that sound. Tweak the crossover points and the mix of the voices to suit your taste.

Hi,

I was thinking same thing and I tried this with my Acoustic guitar preset in Axe III (I think this can probably work with electric guitar also).

I added pitch to my Acoustic guitar preset effect chain.

• Placed pitch after amp / cabinet and before chorus etc.
  • Pitch (Shift1) value - 12 (one ocatave lover)
  • Pitch type is Dual Chromatic (or also can use type Virtual Capo or maybe some else)
  • Pitch placed separately from effect chain between cab and chorus so there is two chain in that point to get two sounds
  • Chorus gives also feeling like 12 string with Pitch together
  • There is other effects on that chain but the idea is to put Pitch as separate (in video you can see that how).

Sound is not perfect but maybe someone make it better.
My playing is not good but hope you get idea and perhaps you can improve that idea and gets better sounds more near 12 string guitar.

I think Axe II also you can make these kind effect chaing to try get 12 string sound with 6 string guitar.
Also some other guitar multiprosessor can make same thing (idea is same in those too).

I haven´t put this preset to that effect change place but if someone wants then I can put preset there.

NOTE: I made this preset to acoustic guitar. I tested with my el.cuitar and not works how I wanted, so only for acoustic.
The best acoustic sound is made with acoustic guitar, so far those I've tested acoustic simulation effects witch el.guitar, they are
not so good as real acoustic guitar.

EDIT: I don´t have any more Youtube video about this (I deleted that video).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom