How to get 100% wet shimmer?

chrisjnyc

Power User
I have used the Plex delay\verb for shimmer on a few presets, but for one I am looking to make it over-the-top shimmer. Something like if you recorded just the 100% wet shimmer tone, and almost none of the original guitar tone. The problem is when the plex mix goes over 50-60%,, the output becomes very low, and you would need to really crank up the volume to the point where it would normally clip. I have tried the mixer block, going parallel or inline, just never seem to get the shimmer to be way up in the mix, like a synth.

What specific algorithm are you using? Shimmer Verb?

Anyhow, if it is Shimmer Verb, you can improve the mix presence by lower input diffusion mix. Down around 8-9% it still smears it enough but keeps it from smearing too much so as to get lost in the mix. You have to run the level high -- that's just the downside to a verb; you lose a lot of the dynamics in the signal.

Follow it with a compressor block if you need to keep a lid on the overall output so it doesn't get too loud or over load the outputs.

This worked well for me (can't share preset because I'm running a beta right now so it won't work for you):
Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 8.17.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 8.17.19 PM.png

Last edited:
Check out the factory preset Space Verb 2 for some really wet, shimmery driven tone setup ideas. Scene 2 in particular.

I've tried it out front on the axe and with my real rack gear when I had that using a pitch shift/harmonizer unit. But, another options for you: split it off in parallel to your main chain. Input > Shimmer (or Plex Delay Block)>Output. In my case, I have the volume/pan block in front of the shimmer and use that to control the volume with a pedal. You can even put a reverb block after the shimmer block in this path to smooth it out: Input>vol/pan>shimmer>reverb>output . I can get the shimmer as high or low in the mix as I want w/out touching the amp levels. For context, this is for a U2/Edge shimmer tone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom