How to fit FM9 into a 19" compatible/hybrid enclosure ?

I'd use a suitably-sized bag or case. My FM9 is mounted on a Temple Audio Duo 24, which has a little extra space on either end, about 3" total, and my Studio Slips bag that fits the board has just enough room for two Dunlop (X) Mini expression pedals, or Fractal's EV-2 pedals. It's a reasonable size that's easy to carry through a crowd.
How is that fitting on the 24? I ask because I really want it to work, but the planner tells another story lol

1701199844262.png

How is that fitting on the 24? I ask because I really want it to work, but the planner tells another story lol

View attachment 130502
Sorry to hijack the thread, Depending on what you’re going after this is kind of what my set up is like. I have never found myself needing two expression pedals with this unit so I get by with a mini Dunlop and still have room for a wireless.

I have a bag that this fits in and I also have a pelican case I can store it in depending on what’s going on or where we’re playing.

Attachments

• IMG_1475.jpeg
    IMG_1475.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 36
Sorry to hijack the thread, Depending on what you’re going after this is kind of what my set up is like. I have never found myself needing two expression pedals with this unit so I get by with a mini Dunlop and still have room for a wireless.

I have a bag that this fits in and I also have a pelican case I can store it in depending on what’s going on or where we’re playing.
Very compact ! Is there really the need to remove the rubber side FM9 protections ? (just curiosity)

OK guys, no way to find it in the market, so I did by myself.
I'm not a mechanical engineer (I'm an electronic one... :blush:) , but I tried to invent something by myself.

TARGET: lightest and as much compact as possible with all the devices I needed in my backup unit.

Here's a rackmount TC-HELICON voice multieffect together with floor FM9 in a lightweight and very robust aluminum frame:

View attachment 130489

Fan holes are kept free from any obstacle to let FM9 breathe.
All useful connections are replicated externally (Audio, MIDI, RF antennas, USB):

View attachment 130491

In WISH section in this forum someone very ironically replied to me "why don't you make your multieffects on your own?..." (like saying "we're bored of your wishes!").
No way... :laughing: I prefer to spend my time playing, leaving these thing to good engineers like Fractal ones.

But sometimes, yes, I'm forced to build something myself for special features I cannot ask:
the foot controller you see in the middle is DIY with Arduino in a "U" aluminum frame, programmed in C++ by myself
(I already programmed it for a lot of domotics, automation and MIDI things ;))

All this strange rig can be opened without screwdrivers for rapid cables check in case of problems:

View attachment 130490

Cables are placed to help them to survive multiple open/close operations...
And there's some space for additional things inside.

View attachment 130493

To save space and weight I used just 1 Harley Benton ISO-3AC to power supply all these:
  • TC- ELECTRONIC Voice Live Rack (12V)
  • Electro Harmonix Stomp Box (9V)
  • LINE6 G55 Guitar RF Receiver (9V)
  • an SPDIF-Analog converter (5V)
  • internal foot controller with Arduino (9V)
  • external MIDI foot controller 9V power, see last photo (I used 2 additional wires of 5p DIN MIDI connector to carry it)

On MIDI management point of view FM9 does merge MIDI IN with MIDI OUT so I didn't need an external MIDI MERGE BOX for my MIDI daisy chain.
NOTE: the big beast AXE FXIII MKII super mega turbo incredibly doesn't allow to merge MIDI IN and OUT.... (the very first wish I ever have posted here :blush:) breaking de-facto the MIDI daisy chain and requiring an external MERGE BOX to merge two signals from itself.

Everything closes with a mm precision, saving all space possible to make it the as much compact as possible.
I did 3 different project designs variations to arrive to this one... It took a very long time to make it, crazy crazy crazy.

Overall weight is 17Kg, while my rack system with AXE FX3 MKII weights 30Kg...

Unfortunately it's impossible to keep everything withing carry-on bag for flights, for few centimeters and 7 Kgs too much :laughing:

NOTE: there's a circuit I have designed and built to protect FM9 input from Phantom Power.
Theorically Phantom Power shouldn't affect any balanced input but I preferred to add that Phantom Power Blocker all the same.

I designed it with a double protection system to both stop any DC (48V) and any spike that may come when inserting connectors. I have tested it very accurately before using it in the rig. On some things I am ruthless.
I can publish my electrical scheme if anyone is interested.

This is my FRACTAL based family of rigs now !

View attachment 130496

• So in best venues I can use AF3 Rack + bigger pedalboard with beloved ROLAND FC-200,
  • while in the other cases I can use FM9 rig with little external pedalboard (the one with cheap but wide FCB1010),
  • or in the worst cases I can use just the FM9 rig with a couple of external pedals (not the ones in the photo, too little).

Here's a post to share hints to move AF3 presets to FM9.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-as-backup-of-axe-fxiii-hints-after-having-done-it.199796/

Let's play ! :blush:
That's ridiculously cool.

The same "strategy" as mine for the compact rig, with narrowest width for transportation.
Exactly. The longer the board, the more difficult it is to keep it from slamming into things, like doors, walls, and people, when moving with cat-like swiftness.

Hey Broadslab, what is the width of the FM9 without the feet on the end? Thanks!

@BobXX,

Perhaps not exactly what you'd like, but I've heard of desktop risers designed to hold FM9s to be used as desktop solutions. I don't remember exactly where I heard of these, but ah, yeah here we are...

https://ottercustomdesign.com/collections/frontpage/products/desk-stand-for-fractal-fm9
Thank you for the hint.
Anyway few days ago I've posted a solution that I was forced to build by myself :) :

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...mpatible-hybrid-enclosure.198052/post-2489779

Back
Top Bottom