How to EQ out Pick Attack?

Play with the Definition parameter in the preamp section. It's described as a Tilt EQ: but I've found it can appear to soften or sharpen the transient edge / pick attack with subtle adjustments in the -1 to +1range. With the bridge pickup on a Strat, for example, the usual EQ adjustments can dull the tone without sufficiently reducing a resonant spike. This parameter can address that to some extent. (Maybe its because the parameter is in front of the amp: it may adjust the guitar signal before the preamp goes to work on it (?), rather than what the amp is doing? )

Anyway, it has helped dial in presets that are heavily saturated quasi clean tones (what I call dirty socks: they may appear clean with a soft touch, but are actually pretty filthy once you get into them. Of course cabinet model choice and other settings are implicated: but if a tone is almost there: The definition parameter may provide the finishing touch.

Thanks for all the answers! I tried almost all of them and none of them worked. ;) What did work somewhat was an Izotope declicker in conjunction with filtering the very low and high frequencies. Ultimately, I think this neck pickup accentuates the pick noise in a lot of amp models.

I suppose I will have to replace the pickup. Any suggestions for a very smooth, low pick attack, neck pickup for high gain? It is a shame because the split clean sound is awesome with it.

I hope that Fractal brings back the pick attack parameter for the AX8 if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom