How to emulate 'Ensemble' control from Strymon Cloudburst?

The new Cloudburst pedal sounds incredible. The 'cloud' types in the Axe III are already amazing, but is there a way to emulate the Ensemble mode? It sounds like a swell/pad and follows your playing.

Thanks,

Dan.

A cloud , a Plex delay and/ or a pitch reverb will get into that zone

Whoa. That’s crazy with forte and 100% mix. Sounds awesome. This is why pedals are just as relevant as ever.

A cloud , a Plex delay and/ or a pitch reverb will get into that zone
The reverb part is easy. The ensemble part seems to be more interesting and a unique thing for the pedal which even other Strymon pedals won't do. Strymon's guys talk about it in their deep dive video.

I really like the ensemble algo! I am glad to hear something new from the Damage Control guys. The big sky turns 10 years old this year.
I have been a fan since the glass nexus pedal, but the big sky algos have become overused and almost cliche' especially in P&W circles.

I really like the ensemble algo! I am glad to hear something new from the Damage Control guys. The big sky turns 10 years old this year.
I have been a fan since the glass nexus pedal, but the big sky algos have become overused and almost cliche' especially in P&W circles.
EVERYTHING guitar is slathered in verb with P&W it's to the point where you can't even make out whether it's guitar or not.

Pretty sure it's just pitch shift/shimmer with maybe an eq or filter to soften the voices. We have some very similar things in the Axe Fx already.strymon.jpg

P&W went from greats like Dann Huff ripping solos on Michael W. Smith songs in the early 90s to everything sounding like U2.

I love the ambient soundscape stuff, but it is definitely overused and abused. Don't think guitarist' will get to the level of modern vocalists and autotune anytime soon :).

literally no PW sounds like U2 anymore. Bands influenced by them maybe...but it's much more synth heavy, much less dotted eighth patterns. Then there's the crossover/lite gospel influence from artists like Maverick City etc.

It's probably been ten years since I played a song and thought "this feels like U2"

and as far as the guitarists role, it's much more about serving the song than carrying the song in a lot of instances, I embrace both roles. It's not about me anyway.

and as far as the guitarists role, it's much more about serving the song than carrying the song in a lot of instances, I embrace both roles. It's not about me anyway
BINGO! From a musical standpoint, a lot of the ambient tones associated with P&W can be overwhelming and seemingly overdone, but in the context of the service has the ability to create some very magical moments. It's about creating an environment and experience, not entertainment.

When you switch on a huge reverb, plex delay and shimmer it sounds like a chorus of angels, so I guess it is no surprise P&W guys love it.

Back
Top Bottom