How to do routing to use Axe fx cab sims with external tube preamp.

mcgyver

Inspired
I am trying to use an external tube preamp with the axe fx. I would like to use the axe fx cab sims.
So I think this would be different then 4 cable method? Can anyone give an idea of how to build the preset and the routing?
Thank you
Jamie

Guitar into input 1 as usual. Output 3 to the preamp, preamp output to input 4. At that point it’s inside your grid and you can add anything you want.

I do this sometimes with a THD Univalve amp and its line out. I can use it as an amp, or as an all tube distortion box.

Put it in a loop, or pre the Axe.

Use the Tube Pre block as a tube power amp sim, by...

...taking the speaker, power amp, power supply, and power tube parameters of a tube amp you desire, and type them into the Tube Pre.

Also, I set the input trim to .5 so I won't hit the front end of the Tube Pre block too hard, and adjust the power amp trim as desired to hit the virtual tube power section as needed.

Set an impedance curve for your cab block's IR, and adjust the presence, depth, and master volume as needed

That's the authentic way, and of course you have the dynamics and EQ etc to use as needed too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom