How to dial in a DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 Grey/Gray pedal?

brokeguitar

Can someone tell me how to closely replicate the Gray/Grey DOD 250 Overdrive Preamp pedals that Yngwie Malmsteen used to use. Not his Yellow ones or reissues. I'm surprised the Fractal don't already have some sort of 250 in it. So, is it possible to make a pedal in the XL+ that can come close to this?

Also if this helps, I found this description of the 250's characteristics... "flat mids and, the lows slowly roll off and the highs slowly creep in as you increase the gain, creating the perfect, muscular tone for rhythm or lead lines with some heft."

The flat mids seems to be one of the main things that differentiate it from the sorta similar mxr dist+.

And, last, if it's just not possible for the Axe FX XL+ to come close to a DOD 250 OD preamp gray pedal, then is it possible to connect a pedal to the Axe Fx? And if so how would I even do that, I mean would it go in the back in the effects send/return, or would I plug my guitar into the pedal and then the pedal into the guitar input on the Fractal? And also, how would I go about editing this in the axe edit tool, like how would I put a block in there to let it know where I want it's position to be in the chain off effects that i'm using inside the axefx itself?

Last edited:
I own the YJM 308 so I've never tried to recreate that pedal in the Axe, however if you want to plug in a real pedal just plug the guitar into the pedal and then the pedal into the guitar input. Works great.

The 250 and Distortion+ are very similar circuits. Just a couple capacitor value differences mostly. You could try EQing the Distortion+ model a bit and you'd probably get fairly close.

Back
Top Bottom