How to control sustain on one note ?

It could possibly be your guitar's setup. If you're pickups are too close to the strings, the magnetic field will be too strong and disrupt the string's vibrations.

Also if you're action is super low, the strings could be fretting out.

If you're confident your guitar is set up properly, then crank up your amp :)

Santana and several others have ,besides " Volume "experiment to find the positions and angles the feedback occurs best and mark on the floor where to stand to achieve it ! I've done this myself and it works , but you have to have enough volume to recycle through your pickups ! unless you use one of the sustainer options , which more than likely is the norm now in times of lower stage volume .
I think Mark Day posted a patch a month or so back on AxExchange that controls feedback with an expression pedal !

Nini tu te sers de ton micro chant ou tu en met un et tu chante le note le temps que tu veux !!!! Hi Hi !!!!
:anonymous:

For some stuff I like compressor after the drive too.

It lets my pick dynamics have more influence on the distortion of the drive vs. comp before drive.

Thanks for this bunch of advices ! No time to tweak this week, but i will explore asap :

- COMP (Mark Day)
- Reverb (Hold)
- Looper ?
- Scene position

I want to get this endless sustain without vibrato (Santana rarely use it) and at low volume
As soon as i have good results, i'll be back on this thread to comment and share my preset ...

Floydrose, je n'ai pas de micro...et il vaut peut-être mieux ! Mais ton idée est peut-être bonne ;) ...

All mechanical and electronic systems have natural resonances so some notes will naturally sustain more easily. Setting the EQ can help to accentuate feedback, basically do the opposite to what people setting up PAs do when they ring out the EQ. i.e. instead of cutting the offending frequencies, boost them.

To sustain a note you have to be at the right distance from the speaker.
When the sound coming from the speaker is in phase with the note you're playing, you'll get (better) sustain.
When they're out of phase, the note will drop dead.
Santana marked the positions on the stage for each note.
To get a natural sustain at low volumes, you might want to install a Sustainiac.

^
this….

it's cos Santana is using feedback that is the same pitch as the note he's playing..
so.. if you get it right, you never hear the transition from note to feedback so it's like the note just hangs there forever..
you need gain and volume.. experiment with where to stand and which way to face to get this type of feedback..
when you've found it, mark the floor with an arrow shape with gaffer tape..
so you know with reliability where to stand and what direction to face when you want to hit that never ending note

at low volumes, as pointed out, a sustainiac or an e-bow

Last edited:
As a few people mentioned, this comes from stage volume and clean technique. You sometimes have to be muting the strings that are not playing and be bending and adding vibrato very cleanly without sounding any other strings.

This was the big "tone" change for me. When I started muting all the other strings I found the whole guitar started to vibrate with just the one string and it really started to ring true. Letting a second string ring seemed to cause the vibrations to fight one another killing sustain and muddy up the note I was playing. I started learning to play all my scales all over again, slowly, making sure I made sure all the strings were dampened except for the one I was playing. Could not believe the difference in tone. I actually have been doing this while tuning for years, but trying to build some real tone like Santana, it really helped me to make sure to just let the strings I am playing ring. If I am playing three strings, I dampen the others. For me it sounds so much better, but it's homework. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom