How to capture best?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Using my Axe Fx II XL, Matrix GT1000FX power amp, and my Genz Benz G Flez stereo 2x12 loaded with EVM 12L's.

Issue I'm having. I run stereo to FOH via output 1 with cab sims and then output 2 via FX block before cab, goes stereo to my Matrix amp and then to my cab. I want my cabinet IR to be as close as possible so when I dial in my power amp/cabinet rig, I'll know FOH is right as rain. I shot it before but think I'm missing something as FOH isn't cutting the same as my cabinet and muddying up the mix.

Last time I shot with my QSC Touchmix 16 mixer and a "pen style" AKG condensing mic that my father use to dictate into computer for his medical patients.

Should I use a SM57 instead?
DI Box?

Any help or guidance to get my FOH like my rig, I'd greatly appreciate! Thanks!

Hey Tre, Eliminating the possibility the mic isn't accurately measuring the response would eliminate a variable. I've been working with Presonus a while, and have been using their PRM1 reference mic when I need to ring out monitors or balance a PA for a room using an RTA. For $100 shipped from Sweetwater, it's a handy mic to have hanging around and comes in a plastic hard case. It's what I've used when I have messed with tone matching. Here's a link:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...MIyNm49rDJ2gIVDBGBCh026gYgEAQYBSABEgKFKfD_BwE

From a budget standpoint, it also couldn't hurt to use what you have and see if a 57 or 58 makes a usable match.

Don't forget you are comparing the sound of your speaker on stage, to the sound of your speaker miced up at foh. Yes they sound different.
I think you'd be better off finding great ir's that work at FOH first, then working out your stage sound second.

Maybe also look for an ir either in the box or from a quality 3rd party (ownhammer, ML sound, etc.). Then you'll be using their experience in micing up cabs and making ir's.
Sorry that's not the answer you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom