how to adjust levels

am having a hard time adjusting the levels for my AX 8 - one patch becomes softer and the other one becomes louder than the other -

plus there are some tones where the red green lights are flashing -

help me sort this problem out please !

It’s the last page on the main screen for the AX8. Turn the A knob to adjust the amp level right from that screen.

For the most part you won't be able to set the Amp Block's 'Level' to the same setting for each preset. The amp model, cabinet used and effects levels all contribute to the preset's overall level. I use the VU Meter to set them close to zero then use my ears to get them to sound equal. Chris' video is a good tutorial but keep in mind this is using the Axe Fx II which allows 2 amp models so it's going to look different.

As Chris mentioned, the VU Meter is on the last page of the main menu of the AX8. To get to the VU Meter on the AX8, tap <SHIFT> then <PAGE>, which moves you back one page in the menu to the VU Page. Use the 'NAV' knob for rough level adjustment, the 'A' knob for fine level adjustments.

From the AX8 Manual, page 83:

"UTILITY: VU METERS
The VU Meter page provides a visual representation of the level of your presets. This can be very helpful when you are adjusting levels. The scale is -20 to +10 dB with a line to mark 0 dB. You can adjust amp levels as desired using the dedicated LEVEL knob on the top panel of the AX8. A second pair of indicators show MAIN and FX SEND levels.
Remember that meters only tell part of the story: LISTENING is crucial."

Remember that meters only tell part of the story: LISTENING is crucial."
And listening at the level that you'll be playing is crucial as well. If you balance your levels at bedroom volume, or in headphones, they'll likely be off from each other at gig volume.

A trick I've found when I set my volumes in headphones is to have backing tracks running - i.e. if you're playing cover music, use some of those songs. Then you have a consistent volume bed that you can level patches from. It's not perfect, but better than just trying to judge your presets by their 'standalone' volume. So I usually use a combination of the meters, plus playing over other music... and then of course do a final tweak at band practice.

i use an AX 8 - the main out clip red button keeps blinking when I am playing on the main LCD panel

is it a cause of worry ?

Back
Top Bottom