How to achieve smooth portamento with FX8 pitch/whammy effect?

Dennis Rea

I've followed suggestions on a number of threads related to the FX8 pitch/whammy effect without achieving the desired result, so I'm throwing this out there. I'm trying to set up the whammy effect so that my EV expression pedal produces a smooth portamento sweep from the base pitch (0) to, say, an octave up, 100% wet. Currently what I'm getting is a sweep where the base pitch is heard with the pedal in the up position, the shifted pitch is heard with the pedal fully down, but the pitch doesn't audibly travel through the full pitch range in between; basically, the pedal's functioning as an on/off controller, and the pitch effect seems inaudible in between. Does anyone know if it's possible to produce an uninterrupted sweep, similar to portamento on a synth, but without using the Synth effect? Very grateful for any advice someone might be able to offer. Thanks!

Sounds like you've got the expression pedal assigned to the Mix. Set the pitch block to Classic Whammy type and Octave Up mode. Then assign your expression pedal to the Control parameter of the Whammy.

Back
Top Bottom