How to achieve MAttias "IA" Eklundh Freak Guitar tones with the Axe FxII.

immortal_soloist

Power User
Hey guys,
Jamtrack central released backing tracks with transcriptions from Mattias 'IA' Eklundh - Freak Guitar Series 1.
Si I was wondering anyone ever tried to achieve those unique freak guitar tones of Mattias on the Axe FxII. He has done some really interesting stuff tonally and technically with
his guitar for years.
If anyone has achieved that what amp and what type of chain would you recommend for such tones.
Any suggestion would be deeply appreciated.
Here is a small video for this jamtrack series:
Mattias 'IA' Eklundh - Freak Guitar Series 1 - YouTube

Cheers guys :).

I can't really help much. I don't even have my Axe II yet. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that was the album right before he started using Laney amps. I think he was using a distortion pedal into a gorilla amp.

Some of his Laneyish tone (easily achieved in the AXe-FX II btw) My fav tune

Mattias is a genius without a doubt :D. Yup the way he has made his mark with his playing and tones is just so original.
Oh yes this is an amazing tune featuring Ron Thal. I'll definitely try to come up with something with the Laney on the Axe FxII.
Thank you,much appreciated :)

A part of the trick would be how to achieve those insaaaane harmonics. They scream like nothing else! (Listen to them near the end of the clip)

I'm interested in this tooooo :)

The harmonics are done using only the guitar, no fx. There are plenty of interviews where he explains how to do them.

One of the most important things of his soung is the way he mics the amps: on the cone edge off axis.

Oh, they definitely got permission first, it was the freak guitar summer camp. I actually played through his Laney a bit, didn't sound anything like him. :(

(can the axefx put a talent block somewhere?)

Oh, they definitely got permission first, it was the freak guitar summer camp. I actually played through his Laney a bit, didn't sound anything like him. :(

(can the axefx put a talent block somewhere?)

Yes....Its a "suck" block with negative parameters.. ;)

Back
Top Bottom