How should I set up Ax8?

APE

Inspired
I play rock and metal.

Rainbow, Hendrix, Ozzy, The Eagles.

I want to have a crunch, a high gain sound, a compressed clean tone with EQ, and for effects, flanger with EQ, chorus, and reverb.

I also want a looper.

What are some strategies for setting up the Ax-8 for this?

I play rock and metal.

Rainbow, Hendrix, Ozzy, The Eagles.

I want to have a crunch, a high gain sound, a compressed clean tone with EQ, and for effects, flanger with EQ, chorus, and reverb.

I also want a looper.

What are some strategies for setting up the Ax-8 for this?
Make those 3 presets. Add a looper to each.

Go to the sticky thread and go through the AX8 tutorials. You will find some great info there.
Cool, glad to know that there's one sticky thread………

I'm not sure what your goals are on this forum but if you continue like this, I'm leaving.

I thought it was a pretty helpful tip...

At the top of the forum page there's a thread that compiles quite a few helpful videos and stuff.

Anyways, you either set up your own patches the way you like it to sound, or you can check out some of the patches uploaded on axechange. You might find something that suits your taste there, and perhaps make your own adjustments.

You can also play through the factory presets, there's some nice stuff there. Copy your favourites to an user bank. Then you only need to add a looper block to each.

I like to set up my patches so I can play entire songs without changing preset. I do this with a x/y amp setup, a drive block, some useful effects I can turn on when needed, and a filter block for extra lead volume.

I also like to have a footswitch dedicated to switch between scene one and two, where scene two is the lead sound. Typical the amp with more gain, filter block and delay turned on.

But I guess there are about as many opinions on patch setups as there are ax8 owners :)

There are lots of ways you can do this.
  • Build three presets, one for clean, crunch, and high gain. Add effects to each preset and then assign them to footswitches.
  • Use a single amp and then assign scene controllers to the gain and input trim, level, etc so that you can use one amp for three different sounds. Then you can assign each scene to a footswitch. Add footswitchable effects to taste.
  • Use X/Y switching to put a clean and dirty amp in the same preset. You could dial in a crunch tone on the dirty amp, and then add a drive pedal in front for higher gain.
The way I set mine up varies based on the application.

For messing around at home and recording stuff, I basically have a main preset for each amp that I like. A Mesa Mark II c ++, Mark IV, Recto, A couple of Marshalls, etc, etc, etc. I'll dial in my best high gain sound, and then use X/Y switching to add either a USA clean or Shiver Clean amp so I can have clean tones on the same preset.

For playing live, most of my songs are either clean throughout the entire song, or mainly crunch with a clean intro or something. I have a "main clean" preset that I use for the clean stuff. Scene 1 would be ultra-clean, S2 a very light drive in front for grittier cleans, and S3 and S4 delay and a flanger. I'll put the 4 scenes in the first row of switches, and then add a volume boost (filter block) and individual effects in the back row.

My main crunch preset for live is the same way, but I do the X/Y switching with a clean so I can use the same preset for the entire song. Again, scenes in the front row and boost/effects in the back.

Finally, I have a few presets for individual songs that need certain delays (U2 :rolleyes:) tremelo, or a pitch block to tune down a half step. I'm not the kind of guy that tries to match every song perfectly, so I only have a handful of these.

Forum members are not paid. Anyone can join the forum and anyone can respond. Staying or leaving doesn't affect anyone's pay check. If you want to leave I doubt anyone will lose any sleep over it. In general I think everyone tries to help but when so many questions have already been answered it makes more sense to direct people back to those threads.

There are over 200 amps in there so it's hard to tell you in a general question which ones you should without spending all afternoon typing out information that is already out there. I personally prefer models that have the ability to go from clean to dirty just by adjusting the gain because of the x/y amp switching delay. There are also extensive guides on each amp model for free. Read yeks guides and the manual. Since they model the real thing I would pick amps of the bands you are trying to sound like. Setup your tones similar to how they would or try some presets. Adjust presets to your taste. Learn to use scenes and modifiers. My personal favorite amp model is the Morgan ac 20. Check out Larry Mitchells present if you like the ac 20. There is a free ir of the cab they used.

If I were setting up for what you want, I would set up three different presets, with the necessary effects in each. Unlike most Axe users, I don't use Scenes or X/Y switching to change effects. I just use the stompbox switches. Otherwise I can confuse myself (which is a bit too easy to do).

For the same reason, I don't use the looper in the Axe. If I need a looper, I use an external looper, plus a midi clock pedal, only because the switching is easier. There is a lot of background in the forum on the question you asked. Have a look and start trying things out.

Oh and at first, I suggest trying to limit yourself to just a couple presets, no more than a dozen max. You will find you need to adjust them to gig volume and starting with a smaller set will make that easier.

I think it depends on how much time you want to put in.

Easier: 1 preset per artist that roughly captures the essence of their music. Probably just map pedals to foot switches. Example preset 'Jimi'

Harder: 1 preset per song. Probably have scenes per song section toggling on/off groups of pedals. Example preset 'Wind Cries Mary'

What I'd skip, having presets for sections of songs and toggling that way (just my opinion).

Hope it helps

Back
Top Bottom