How quick/ easy is it to access/edit block parameters directly on the FM3?

Beexter

Inspired
Without using the "performance" screens, how quickly can you get to block parameters on the FM3 unit for "on the fly" adjustments?

If you're on the layout screen and scroll to a particular block, do the common parameters show up above the 5 encoder dials?

I've got an FM3 incoming so just trying to do some prep before it arrives...

Last edited:
The [EDIT] soft button, 5 encoders (A-E), and [PAGE << or >>] soft buttons can quickly get you where you need to be from the Home or Grid screen without using the Performance Pages.

Press [EDIT] to enter Edit mode and it will select the first block in the Grid. Once in Edit mode, pressing the [PAGE << or >>] moves through the different parameter pages of each block. Pressing [EDIT] again cycles through the blocks in the grid from left to right. Double clicking the [EDIT] button cycles through them from right to left.

In the Home or Grid screen, the 5 encoders also have a double press/click feature that goes directly to Edit mode for the Amp (A), Drive 1 (B), Cab (C), Delay 1 (D) and Reverb (E) blocks. Using the [EDIT] button cycles through the blocks in the preset from that block.

It's pretty quick and trivial, IMHO. The only thing I find painful adjusting on the unit's UI is layout/routing, I'd never touch that via the unit's UI in an on the fly adjustment; but really who would do that anyway? Even if it were easy it's a roll of the dice. Otherwise it's quick and super easy the knobs underneath the screen make everything really quick.

I do 99% of the editing on my FM3 from the front panel, as it’s usually not connected to my computer. It’s a little awkward at first, until you learn your way around the menus, but once you have learned your way around it’s actually quite painless.

I've edited all my preset (40ish..) from the unit's front panel.... It's way simpler than it looks! A block library accessible from the unit (also limited to few blocks) would be really appreciated indeed...

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies. Am I right in thinking that once you have highlighted the relevant block, the most relevant parameters appear above the 5 encoders? Or is there a bit more menu diving?

I've edited all my preset (40ish..) from the unit's front panel.... It's way simpler than it looks! A block library accessible from the unit (also limited to few blocks) would be really appreciated indeed...

We don’t need no stinking block library! Just give us a tube screamer, a Marshall, a greenback 4x12, and a delay.

:p

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies. Am I right in thinking that once you have highlighted the relevant block, the most relevant parameters appear above the 5 encoders? Or is there a bit more menu diving?

That’s pretty much it. Use the arrow keys to highlight the block you want to edit, hit the “edit” button, and that takes you to the main parameters. The page arrows will cycle you through the deeper stuff from there if you want to go there.

That’s pretty much it. Use the arrow keys to highlight the block you want to edit, hit the “edit” button, and that takes you to the main parameters. The page arrows will cycle you through the deeper stuff from there if you want to go there.
Thanks @Frodebro , good to know.
Really looking forward to the arrival of my FM3! I had an AX8 a while ago but it seems the UI on the FM3 has moved on quite a bit, as have the tones! Even the demo's I've seen of the factory presets sound amazing.

Not quite, but sort of. They're the first 5 parameters on the first page in the block. For things like drives and amps, if you're on the authentic/ideal pages, yeah, they're the most relevant. Regardless, it's not difficult to navigate the block parameters.

I do 99% of the editing on my FM3 from the front panel, as it’s usually not connected to my computer. It’s a little awkward at first, until you learn your way around the menus, but once you have learned your way around it’s actually quite painless.

This is how i have been doing it as well. Cant take the risk of being at a live show and not knowing how to navigate the unit if something needs changed on the fly.

For some reason I love the interface on the unit 😅 I almost never use fm3 edit, even tho I probably should because it’s faster… I just associate computers with doing work… they’re not toys like the fm3 which brings me nothing but joy 😇

I recommend learning the quick shortcuts:
  • Doubleclick A knob - Amp
  • Doubleclick B knob - Drive
  • Doubleclick C knob - Cab
  • Doubleclick D knob - Delay
  • Doubleclick E knob - Reverb
  • Click Edit - Edit last block selected (or first block in grid)
  • Click Edit while in block edit - Next block
  • Doublick Edit - Go to edit previous block
  • Doubleclick Store - Save preset prompt
  • Click Home to go back to the last screen you had open in Home. Click Home again to go to list of Scenes.
I'd say as long as you do majority of the routing using FM3-Edit you will be fine. Also remember Perform view can only have controls assigned with FM3-Edit.

This is how i have been doing it as well. Cant take the risk of being at a live show and not knowing how to navigate the unit if something needs changed on the fly.
I prefer the editor, but force myself to use FP frequently for just that reason.

It just comes down to your comfort level. If you become familiar with the system, then it's easy. If you never edit directly from the unit and then on the day of try to make adjustments from the unit, you'll struggle.

Back
Top Bottom