How precise is the Axe 5153 Red to the real amp?

Hey, I remember a chart for Axe MV and real fender amp anywhere on the Fractal platform, is something like this senseless?

Why every amp having the same MV Taper actually, is it also a physically reason behind and Axe modeling algorithms, or just too crazy imply a internal designed MV para for every Amp in interaction with/ feed the Main MV taper to get a precise simulation to the real amp pot there(for the eyes)?
Wouldn't it be more comfortable. Just a idea or so.. for future.. Forgive me to go so far into this maybe less important detail when go by ear anyway!

Much Users don't go by ears at all or dont know in the first instance when they tweak their tone to something ..they try to copy a Amp and setting for example, that it's different to the real Amp,Iam sure.

Cliff:

"Master Volume tapers are NOT matched. If they were the amp volumes would jump all over the place when you switched amp types."

"The taper of the MV on the Axe-Fx does not necessarily match the taper of the actual amp. We use the same taper on every model. IIRC it is a Log10 taper. Many amps use a taper that is more abrupt than that for marketing reasons. For example, a Blues Jr has a linear taper MV. This means the amp is near full volume when the MV is at 3. This gives the impression that an amp is "loud". When the unsuspecting customer is testing the amp and it gets really loud with the MV on 2 the customer instinctively goes "wow, this amp is loud, it must be good". Anyways we use a consistent Log10A taper on every model. In general this means you need to set the MV higher than you would on the real amp. For example if the real amp has a linear taper halfway on the model would be equivalent to 1 on the amp (assuming the amp is calibrated from 0 - 10). The taper of a logarithmic pot has the nomenclature LogXA where 'A' indicates audio and X is the percentage of the element resistance from wiper to CCW terminal with the pot at 50% rotation. So a 1 Megohm Log10A pot would have 100K between the wiper and the CCW terminal when the pot is at "noon"."

AMP block parameters - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Cliff:

"Master Volume tapers are NOT matched. If they were the amp volumes would jump all over the place when you switched amp types."

"The taper of the MV on the Axe-Fx does not necessarily match the taper of the actual amp. We use the same taper on every model. IIRC it is a Log10 taper. Many amps use a taper that is more abrupt than that for marketing reasons. For example, a Blues Jr has a linear taper MV. This means the amp is near full volume when the MV is at 3. This gives the impression that an amp is "loud". When the unsuspecting customer is testing the amp and it gets really loud with the MV on 2 the customer instinctively goes "wow, this amp is loud, it must be good". Anyways we use a consistent Log10A taper on every model. In general this means you need to set the MV higher than you would on the real amp. For example if the real amp has a linear taper halfway on the model would be equivalent to 1 on the amp (assuming the amp is calibrated from 0 - 10). The taper of a logarithmic pot has the nomenclature LogXA where 'A' indicates audio and X is the percentage of the element resistance from wiper to CCW terminal with the pot at 50% rotation. So a 1 Megohm Log10A pot would have 100K between the wiper and the CCW terminal when the pot is at "noon"."

AMP block parameters - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Thanks for jumping in with that Yek! I understand.
So it would be possible to calculate with deep amp knowledge at least haha Would the chart mentioned translate the real 5150 III Master too in this case perhaps? Its also a fender amp,

No no, give it up. Save yourself all the trouble. Even *if* you succeed in copying exact settings, you won't get the exact tone you're after. Fingers, attack, cables, deviation margin etc.

No no, give it up. Save yourself all the trouble. Even *if* you succeed in copying exact settings, you won't get the exact tone you're after. Fingers, attack, cables, deviation margin etc.

Yeah most likely, was joking anyway

After reading your post I tried out the Eternal Love pedal. Very nice! Really can't decide whether to use this or the TS808 mod now.
It worked particularly well with that amp, set to a jangly sort of mid-gain without the pedal. Surprised me when I looked up!

I found the gain and tone controls very close to my 5150 and I prefer the consistent mv taper because I hate the way some amps go from quiet to super loud, the best tube amp mv's are mesas imo my mark v actually gradually increased til about 6 then just more saturation though I found it sounded best around 4 anything more was stupid loud and did not improve tone. Best thing about axe all the tone without volume that kills hearing and small animals like the 5150

logarithmic pots are a blight on humanity.

I know certain pots are done this way because of the non linear nature of the ear, or that was what i was told, however logarithmic pots always have an audible gradation that is worst than linear in my opinion

If you really need to know the Drive and Presence are within the tolerance of the pots. The MV may or may not be the same. The Axe-Fx II uses the same taper for the MV for every amp model. It doesn't matter though. The important thing is to understand what the MV does and learn to hear its effects. MV controls the power amp drive. At low levels the power amp will be operating in its linear region. As you turn MV up the power amp will start to distort. A little power amp distortion makes an amp sound better that's why amps have a "sweet spot". When you hit the sweet spot the tone gets smoother and the amp gets bouncier because the power supply is working harder.

You will get far better tones if you concentrate on learning what the knobs do and how they affect the sound than mindlessly copying amp settings off a video or forum or something.

Damn Cliff my EVH 5150 mk3 never sounded better than in 19 now, best MV Sweet spot I found and High Gain, Drive 6, Mvolume .. Wait for it.... 2.9 ! Never thought I would lower it so much, and with the new Drives,the TS808 before the amp, it gets very big and heavy at any event.

I have owned both the 50W and the 100W, notice I said 'have owned'. The Axe FX nails the 5150III tone, all three channels. I sold my amps, no need to have them anymore.

Even that sick amount of gain I hear in evh demonstrations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the 100W version. The drive was at 3 but it screamed (dial was at 2PM). Changing the drive (until it hit 0.00) did not change the tone much. I am using 19b3 and I was trying to reduce the drive a bit. This happened on both front panel and Axe-Edit. Is this normal for this amp?

How precise is the Axe fx II 5153 Red parameters of Drive, Presence and MasterVolume in FW 19 to the real amp actually, are they different at same positions??

I have absolutely no idea

what I know with absolute certainty though is that the 5153Red in the Axe is the dog's bollox
so… precise or not.. I really couldn't give a flying fk..

dude… just crank it and fill the room with awesomeness..

Back
Top Bottom