How much should the singers be paid?

^^This. Do you want to have good morale and really function as a team? Then equal shares. Are you bringing in a "pinch hitter" temporarily? Then maybe a flat rate.

I play in 2 bands a cover band and an original jazz trio.

The cover band was well established before I ever joined it. The people in the band are amazing folks. I consider every one of them a close friend. They offered me an equal share when I joined - even thought they didn't have to. They make decent money too - weddings, corporate parties, etc. They had already built the band's brand long before I joined so they could have been justified offering me less. They didn't know it at the time, but I donate all my income back to the band. I don't need it, but others in the band do. Plus it would be a pain in the ass tax wise for me - so easier to collect $0.

In the Jazz trio I "write" all the music and I still "pay" my mates equal for every gig. Once I bring in a tune their participation adds so much and ends up having a major influence on the final result. In this band none of us needs the income (we are all professionals in other fields). So we agreed early on to donate all our proceeds to music education in public schools and local public jazz radio.

From my youth, once anyone in the band gets greedy, or says I deserve more than you, the experience sucks and quickly becomes toxic for all.

I play in 2 bands a cover band and an original jazz trio.

The cover band was well established before I ever joined it. The people in the band are amazing folks. I consider every one of them a close friend. They offered me an equal share when I joined - even thought they didn't have to. They make decent money too - weddings, corporate parties, etc. They had already built the band's brand long before I joined so they could have been justified offering me less. They didn't know it at the time, but I donate all my income back to the band. I don't need it, but others in the band do. Plus it would be a pain in the ass tax wise for me - so easier to collect $0.

In the Jazz trio I "write" all the music and I still "pay" my mates equal for every gig. Once I bring in a tune their participation adds so much and ends up having a major influence on the final result. In this band none of us needs the income (we are all professionals in other fields). So we agreed early on to donate all our proceeds to music education in public schools and local public jazz radio.

From my youth, once anyone in the band gets greedy, or says I deserve more than you, the experience sucks and quickly becomes toxic for all.
I get that. Hard to justify an equal pay when not everyone is contributing equally

It's easy to get frustrated when it seems like one or multiple people in the band aren't pulling their weight. For me this means, not helping to setup/tear down the PA and lights. When it really started to annoy me, I realized I had 3 options: continue to hold in my growing anger, yell at them or actively show them how to coil cables and ask them to help. Thankfully, the active route worked well. Sometimes people don't help because they don't know what to do or are afraid of screwing things up.

In my experience it is usually the front man/men that suck the worst. Interestingly (also in my experience) this does not hold true for female front persons. They have always been wonderful to work with for me.

Maybe because there is no phallic compensation going on? Just a guess.
It’s been my experience the less talent, the bigger the ego. Amazing singers I’ve worked with were such a pleasure and down to earth. I have a guy who sings in the key of potato that is intolerable. He will very soon be gone.

It’s been my experience the less talent, the bigger the ego. Amazing singers I’ve worked with were such a pleasure and down to earth. I have a guy who sings in the key of potato that is intolerable. He will very soon be gone.

For sure! I have also noticed an exception to the rule that if a front person (male or female) also plays an instrument the douchebag rule does not apply.

I also worked with a male singer back in the 90s, he played no instrument but he had a tremendous amount of singing talent and he knew it. He was insufferable. But we put up with him because he was so good.

But I think your point is the more common case. The best musicians I know are all very humble about their talent.

What do you mean? Can you expound a bit?
For sure! I have also noticed an exception to the rule that if a front person (male or female) also plays an instrument the douchebag rule does not apply.

I also worked with a male singer back in the 90s, he played no instrument but he had a tremendous amount of singing talent and he knew it. He was insufferable. But we put up with him because he was so good.

But I think your point is the more common case. The best musicians I know are all very humble about their talent.
This is my situation

On of the bands I was in , I was 2nd guitar and 1/2 the lead vocals. The other guitar player\lead singer was just amazing singing and playing-did he get extra $$$-Nope. Guess I am old school too but was always equal pay if you were a member the band-period.

This is my situation

OK then that means we're back to you need to find new singers up to par so you can feel good about paying them equal.

If there isn't band mate consensus in your band then you have to build consensus, suck it up or bail.

Sometimes bailing leads to new opportunities, sometimes regrets. That's life.

On of the bands I was in , I was 2nd guitar and 1/2 the lead vocals. The other guitar player\lead singer was just amazing singing and playing-did he get extra $$$-Nope. Guess I am old school too but was always equal pay if you were a member the band-period.
But you were playing on every song and helping move equipment/ sharing ownership of equipment I assume

Back
Top Bottom