How much should I care about no COA coming with an R9?

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
How dumb is it to buy an R9 that has no COA?

Shop says:
"The catch with this one: No COA, paperwork and it comes with a non original hard case. There is also some finish dings, dents, chips and wear."

I don't care much about minor dings etc, and I'd be getting it to play, not flip, just not sure if it's really stupid to get involved at all without that COA. I don't know why it doesn't have one.

It's $500 less than a similar but not quite as cool looking one that does have one, which of course my finances would appreciate, and the shop folks pump this one up as a favorite.

I haven't played either of them, or any R9, but one would make sense for my birthday present quest, on the already-have-a-strat theory. I don't actually have any real idea what I'd think if I got it in my hands, but it's probably worth doing that. I think.

Thoughts?

I would agree that the discount should be good, particularly consiering the non-original case. (Even thought the original cases are crap in terms of protecting the instrument, they're part of the cool factor.)

Nevertheless, my best-sounding R9 is one with no COA (but original case) and little chips and dings. It's noticeably better than my other reissues. And I'm less worried about putting a nick in the finish. If you're buying a player, I wouldn't worry so much about the COA. But make sure it's a great-sounding and great-playing example.

It's described as "2016 Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1959 Les Paul Reissue R9 Cherry Sunburst. Dual humbuckers, stock parts and a '59 shaped neck profile that measures .91 @ 1st and .99 @ 12th."

Custom Historic Gibson… C-H-ibson. :)

Seriously, all of the OEM stuff has value in a historic reissue, so price breaks are to be expected when it’s just the guitar and nothing else (original). I’d also say you need to be near-expert knowledgable on this particular one to be sure it is exactly what you’re paying for, or confirm through Gibson if possible.

Don’t worry, if this one doesn’t work out there will be another. Buy when you’re ready.

CoA helps with resale unless its from a period where CoAs were often not included.
And I get that, but w/o the original case resale is also shot. So if he can get it for a good price and its returnable its worth a shot if he digs it.

Sorry to be naive, but are actually saying that Custom Historic models aren't made in the US?

Anyway, "2016 Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1959 Les Paul Reissue R9 Cherry Sunburst" w no COA and a non-original case $4,499.

"2017 Gibson Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul R9 Cherry Sunburst" w original case and COA is $4899.

Another shop has a 2020 Gibson Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue R9 for $5,795, considerably higher than I'm willing to go.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if you couldn't get one complete for less than that anyway. Send me hi res pictures if you'r not sure . The things to look out for in Gibson apart this are any signs of a head break no matter how well it is repaired.

Ya it’d need to be 4k.

There’s a 68ri lpc (historic reissue) at a store in NY state for $3899 for comparison.

68s are the much chunkier neck, yes? Probably not my dish of tea. I really want to get hands on before buying too.
Not much thicker, no. Shoulder between R8 and R9. Mine is .889-1.037. My 2016 R8 was chunkier in the shoulder (dont know depth on it, since sold). I can go between the R9 and 68ri easily.

Back
Top Bottom