How much better is the FM3 over the Axe-Fx II?

Griff_NZ

Inspired
Hey guys. Loving my Axe II through my Fryette into a 412. But I still find myself using a lot of eq to fine tune the low and top end and get more not separation. I'm pretty fussy with my tones and am very close to where I want them to be but not quite there.
I guess my question is, does the Fm3 have quite an improved tightened low end and amp models being more satisfying right off the bat without too much tweaking?
I will happily sell the Axe II if so.

I had an AX8, and FM3 with firmware 3.01 is so much better!

I know AXII has some Ares improvements, and some features like Dual Amp, Tone Match, IR Smoothing, etc, but FM3 has the latest amp modeling improvements, and according to Cliff's latest announcement: he has unlocked the secret of Chug!

I don't know exactly what it is about, but i'm sure It will be a new landmark for Fractal Modeling, and Axe-FX II won't get it. In fact I'm not sure FM3 will get it. :coldsweat:

I had an AX8, and FM3 with firmware 3.01 is so much better!

I know AXII has some Ares improvements, and some features like Dual Amp, Tone Match, IR Smoothing, etc, but FM3 has the latest amp modeling improvements, and according to Cliff's latest announcement: he has unlocked the secret of Chug!

I don't know exactly what it is about, but i'm sure It will be a new landmark for Fractal Modeling, and Axe-FX II won't get it. In fact I'm not sure FM3 will get it. :coldsweat:
Hard to know what happens for sure, but I'd hope/think the chug-pdate won't be too processor intensive to where it can't be ported to fm3.

And yeah I think there's definitely a difference between latest fm3 firmware and ax8, but also axe fx II. Not night and day, but it's there, and I like the fm3/axe fx3 amp modelling more.

Yep, the amp block in the FM3 and Axe FX III is quite an improvement since the last generation of products, especially if you are someone who has used every built-in option searching for your tone but still need more options.

In addition to the new generation amp block’s input EQ and boost/drive circuit, both of which offer a lot more tone sculpting capability, you have a couple of years worth of firmware updates. Each whole-number update (v2.xx to 3.xx) typically includes improvements to the amp block, and we’ve moved from 1.0 to 15.xx in the last couple of years on the Axe FX III. The FM3’s firmware 3.xx is roughly equivalent to the Axe FX III’s firmware 15.xx

Last edited:
I migrated from the axefx II to the FM3 in the fall of 2020. To my ears, it was night and day difference in tone. The tones I was generating from the FM3 were significantly more satisfying than anything I got from the axefx II.
It all subjective depending on your tonal requirements. I play mainly into headphones or direct to the FOH when I do live music.

I migrated from the axefx II to the FM3 in the fall of 2020. To my ears, it was night and day difference in tone. The tones I was generating from the FM3 were significantly more satisfying than anything I got from the axefx II.
It all subjective depending on your tonal requirements. I play mainly into headphones or direct to the FOH when I do live music.
It's a feel thing.

Night and day for me.

Both awesome, newer one has the new brain, more betterer in my opinion, if thats even a word...but who cares what i think

Did you play through power amp and cab at all?
What differences/improvements did you notice?

Back
Top Bottom