How many presets do you really use live?

How many presets do you really use live?

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • 2-5

Votes: 45 35.2%
  • 6-15

Votes: 53 41.4%
  • 16-40

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • 41+

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters
I use roughly 10. But if I find I'm more restricted by CC buttons on my footcontroller than I am the Axe. I could easily get by on about 4/5 (using different FX, drives, etc) and a volume knob, but I'm sort of with Solo-act here when it makes as much sense to have a patch per song (however, I was not that patient!)

Ron

I arrange my banks in lots of 5 presets which are (left to right) clean sound, crunch sound, heavy rhythm, lo gain lead, hi gain lead. I use my standard presets for about 80% of my live stuff and just stomp effects in as needed. For songs that are more effects intensive I make a new bank just for that song and setup the same patches but with the desired effects already switched on.

So bank 1 is for the vast majority of applications, then banks 2 through 14 are for individual songs fromteh setlist.

On top of that I've got a whole range of "standard banks" saved for use, depending on which mood I'm in! For instance my current standard bank is Preset 1 (Clean) = UKGC30, Preset 2 (Crunch) = JCM800, Preset 3 (Heavy Rhythm) = 5150, Preset 4 (lo gain lead) = Cornford and Preset 5 (hi gain lead) = X99 lead.

I often sub the 5150 for a recto (orange or red) or the Uber, or Powerball. The JCM sometimes gets subbed out for a Cornford or the UKGC30 with more gain. The Clean presets is often a Brownface or Top Boost. Lead sounds vary even more!

It's hard to stick to one amp model for too long when you've got so many to choose from!

Back
Top Bottom