How many people solder their speaker ?

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
Just curious as to how many people solder the speaker wire to the speaker, instead of just sliding the thingy onto the post... Was considering opening up my cabinet and doing that someday when I'm bored...

I do these days. Had couple of occasions where a speaker didn't function because of a loose wire. My speakers are in flightcases with wheels. Those things get bumped around.

Sliding the thingy on to the post is not good, :tearsofjoy: If you crimp the lug down a tad they will hold but not as good a good solder joint!

Wire terminals are more convenient if you swap speakers a lot but they can work loose over time. If it's the only speaker load on a tube amp, losing a speaker wire could damage your output transformer. If you've got no plans to change speakers, might as well solder them. A properly soldered connection is almost always better. You can always de-solder it later for repairs or speaker swaps if needed.

Always snip the connector off and tin and solder the cable onto the speaker terminal.

My cabs (when I used them) had wheels and got bumped to hell being dragged into venues and the last thing you need to be doing is peering into the back of a cab (if it's open backed) to check the speakers are connected. Even worse with a closed back cab as the first you'd know about a cable coming loose is a total lack of sound, or a blown output transformer if you run stereo.

Solder - every time :)

I do except with old Jbl drivers which have those pressy springy things that work very well.
Thanks
Pauly

It only takes one time that a wire comes off and you think your gear or cables or something is off - only to find later that damn red wire came off a speaker in a cab.

I luckily haven't had any issues yet - but like riding a motorcycle, its just a matter of time until something bad happens. I think I have to stop putting it off and just do it - thanks everyone ! :)

Back
Top Bottom