How Many People Are Using A Virtual Capo in "Real" Applications

Just starting to try it at +2, and I've noticed quite a tamber/formant change, though I haven't tried it with the band yet, just against the rhythm guitar backing tracks.

That said, at least it's in tune which the real capo isn't always after some string bending!

Hoping it'll work out...

Just starting to try it at +2, and I've noticed quite a tamber/formant change, though I haven't tried it with the band yet, just against the rhythm guitar backing tracks.

That said, at least it's in tune which the real capo isn't always after some string bending!

Hoping it'll work out...

Adjusting the high and low cuts will help with the tone change.

My Baritone guitar is getting setup at the moment so I had to use the V-Capo for this demo soloI’m working on. It doesn’t sound bad in the mix but compared to a real baritone it does glitch a bit and have a kind of hollow feeling to it.

Sounds great! What’s that guitar? Looks sweet.

I am!

Adds some noticeable latency and a bit of "weirdness" to the tone, but it's practically impossible to tell in a live setting and way faster than using the real thing.

Reactions: Woz
Adding my two cents. I had resisted using the VC previously because the latency felt too high, but recently tried it again (wanted to learn some songs in Eb standard without retuning a guitar) and plugged in directly with a cable instead of my usual Shure GLXD16 wireless -- taking that wireless out of the equation brought the latency back down to imperceptible, and I wouldn't hesitate using the VC live now.

Definitely some artifacts here and there, and I always prefer a downtuned guitar when possible, but it sounds pretty dang good and I'm confident it would sound just fine in a mix.

My band uses the AX3 for practices in our rehearsal space, and for when we play live. Our songs stretch from: Standard, Dropped D, Dropped C#, Dropped C, Dropped B & Dropped A#. With that being said, we use one guitar in standard with the V.C. with the pitch tracking set to smooth and tracking at "1.0". We (2 GTRs & 1 Bass) can't detect that much of noticeable latency - both wired & wireless. Lastly, when we play live - the number one question we're asked is "how did we do that with one guitar" and the follow-up comment of "no shit, I would have never known you can do that". It's excellent and more than passible for live.

However, I feel the FM3 lacks the same type of quality with the V.C. I feel like the tracking is very sluggish and not as sharp. There are some artifacts that are present on the FM3 that aren't on the AX3. I would absolutely still use it live, and honestly, nobody would really know.

After experimenting with multiple units & plugins, this is my opinion on the best virtual capo / transpose:
1. Neural DSP's Plugins
2. AX3
3. FM3
4. Helix / HX Stomp

Last edited:
I do it all the time. My quitars are tuned to Eb because I like the tension better. So...I have to tune it up a semi.
I'm doing the same, but I don't like that much how the Virtual Capo works at least on FM3
I think it works better downtuning than uptuning
I'm considering to introduce the Digitech The Drop, even if I read conflicting opinions.

I use it regularly.

I don't go more than up/down a half step with it. It gets the job done, much better than the H9 I used to use. But hi/low cuts are essential, especially with a more chimey amp model.

There is latency for sure, most notable if you stop playing for a bit then start again. You can feel as it takes a second to "restart", but I had that with the H9 as well.

I use it regularly.

I don't go more than up/down a half step with it. It gets the job done, much better than the H9 I used to use. But hi/low cuts are essential, especially with a more chimey amp model.

There is latency for sure, most notable if you stop playing for a bit then start again. You can feel as it takes a second to "restart", but I had that with the H9 as well.
Have you ever tried the Digitech Drop?
I’d like to know how it works compared to the Virtual Capo in Fm3

I use it at +2, with some EQ and a light chorus to smear the formant artifacts, works ok but could be better, though not likely on the CPU limited FM3.

Tracking etc is fine, and I just deal with the latency.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom