How Many Of You.....

Davus PG

Inspired
Are using FRFR setups for live use and how many use a traditional cab?

Before I'm told to use the search function - I have, and have spent several hours reading lots and lots of threads.

Ultimately I know it comes down to using your ears and what's right for you - and I shall do that, but I'm just keen to know how many of you are using cab IRs and how many are using your own cabs.

This question has come up as I've picked up a Matrix GT1000FX and am now weighing up whether to go FRFR. I was also looking at Austin Buddy's amp pack and it occurred to me that by ditching the IRs you're potentially losing a huge chunk of what the Axe has to offer and that using every amp model with the same 2x12 defeats the point of them.

Obvious I know, but would like to know who's doing what, as there are so many possibilities.

Cheers

Last edited:
I use FRFR, mostly so my sound is consistent from home, to monitors, to IEM, to FOH. I love not having to transport a dedicated cab just for my guitar. One less mic to setup too.
I get some people need the 'cab behind them' feeling, but once you get over the fact the cab is only for you, it's easy to commit and really enjoy using FRFR. Makes for quieter stages too, potentially.

image.jpg Davus, I was using the matrix GT 1000 amp and the Matrix to 12 cab - Non-FRFR with very good results. The only drawback was not being able to use cab sims but I found that amp and speaker combo to perform very well in many club venues and outdoor gigs. However, I just bought a Mission Gemini II FRFR cab/amp because I really wanted to check out being able to use all the cab sims. So far I’m impressed with it. I’ve used it for one outdoor live gig so far and freely admit I really had no idea what I was doing. Despite that it sounded fantastic and had more than enough power and punch to cut through the mix in a 5-piece classic rock band. Went direct to FOH and to the Gemini II on stage. I probably had some presets set too high and the Out 1 knob all the way up. I have since learned to start the Out 1 knob at 9 o’clock and adjust as necessary. I can recommend the Gemini II. It’s a great solution that allows you to take full advantage of FRFR capabilities and it simplifies the rig. Good luck.

FRFR here. Our band is mostly digital with our drummer playing through a Roland kit, both guitarists using Fractal gear, and a bassist with a direct out. I could run a second out to a monitor specifically for me, but our mix is pretty solid, so I haven't needed one. Makes for a very quiet stage and excellent sound control.

FRFR too. I actually just run straight to PA and get either in ears or floor monitor mix, depending on the venue.
Sounds great and of course, I could bring a personal monitor but it would not change what the audience hears. I do use my wireless to walk to the back and hear what the house sounds like during sound check. Adjust if necessary.

I personally like FR and have used it for years. I started out with guitars cabs but once I got my head around FR It was a no brainer for me and ditched all of my cabs.

I'm running a CLR and a Seismic Audio SAX 12. I will more than likely add another CLR to complete my rig.

FR cab or monitor = More flexibility with added work in getting what you want, The possibility of double duty as a vocal or playback monitor!

Guitar cab = Simplicity, One cab voicing of your choosing, No work having to mess IR's, no versatility

Thanks for the replies so far guys, keep them coming as I'm genuinely interested to see what you've all found works best.

I tried, but was in a rush!

This way is better as people can v briefly describe their rigs.

Am liking the look of the Gemini 2 now...

AX8 into a DeathStar. Powered by Kryptonite. Just kidding.

Out 1 to FOH and in large venues, Out 2 to a Line 6 Flextone II XL. When using the Flextone, I run the AX8 out 2 into the effects return. Just using it for a stage monitor

Thanks for the replies so far guys, keep them coming as I'm genuinely interested to see what you've all found works best.

Another offering you may want to consider is Matrix!, couple that with the fact that they are on your side of the pond, have both FR and guitar cab offerings might be worth considering. They also are here on the forum and have a good track record to boot!

Being the lead singer and guitarist I use a QSC K10 for both vocal monitor and guitar monitor. Works perfectly for my needs and is crystal clear.

I use a traditional cab, well, three of them actually. I haven't had the opportunity to try FRFR (except studio monitors at home) but I'm also not in any big rush to. I don't play live anywhere, I pretty much only play at the rehearsal space with another guitarist who has a traditional rig (mesa mkiv & a 4x12). I run through a matrix gt1000fx and then into a Vader 2x12 and a pair of Orange 1x12's. Eventually I'll grab another 2x12 and send the 112's home, but for now it sounds pretty awesome.

If I were dealing with gigs & stages, I'm pretty sure I would go FRFR in a heartbeat. But for just jamming/rehearsing with one other person, I find it pretty easy to get exactly the tone I want out of my stack & it sounds phenomenal next to the other rig. I don't feel like FRFR would mix quite as well in that scenario, but of course I can't be certain because I haven't tried.

FRFR here, been so since 2011 on the Axe FX, now the same on the AX8. Out 1 for FOH, Out 2 to RCF NX12SMA. No desire to go back to micing a cab. If the stage is larger, I put the FRFR on a short speaker pole and the throw across the stage is perfect for me. The narrower focus of the RCF keeps me from smoking the Keyboard Player or Drummer. I'm happy with the versatility.

I prefer traditional guitar cabs. In my last two bands the other guitarists were using tube amps and to me a FRFR monitor just couldn't compete with a traditional guitar cab in a small club. I'm sure in larger clubs where the mains carry the bulk of the sound it would be a different story, but the clubs that I play are so small that we don't even need to mic the amps and in that case it seems like a FRFR monitor can't compete with a traditional guitar cab, at least IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom