How many of you prefer to talk at your gigs (eg In between songs)? How many of you play straight through?

I agree. When my band formed we pushed minimizing gaps between songs with minimal to no banter. Over time we loosened up and talked and joked between songs. We discovered that we, the audience, and the venue staff had a lot more fun which got us invited back again and again. Of course, this only works if the band member's banter is entertaining. If you have no stage banter your music better be damned entertaining.
I think it's important that each member learn to be comfortable talking for a minute or two at least. No long winded speeches are necessary, but at least be able to fill in.

We never know what'll happen on stage, and maybe the one member who never says anything will need to jump in and talk to cover who knows what happened.

We should try to "KISS" but at least feeling safe and comfortable talking, being personable, is a good thing.

Besides, if the band becomes really popular, people want to know who those people are up there. It's a good thing to be "people" not just "them".

They're there to see a show. To be entertained. What that means depends entirely on the performer, the material, and the audience. But I always took the view that you should strive for something a little extra. The music can be heard anywhere, the show should come with some extra.

When the OP asked if people told stories onstage, below is what I first thought of. 5 full minutes of a story before the song gets going. :fearful:

11 times. And yes, he talked far too much. And still does.
Nugent was another one.
Twice for me.

Good: During the "Wa Ba Da Shoobee Do Wa" in I'm The One..., "WE WANT YOU TO ALL SING ALONG IN THIS PART, BECAUSE IF YOU CAN'T DO WHAT YOU WANT AT A VAN HALEN SHOW, WHERE TF CAN YOU DOOO IT!!"

Not Good: As Ed starts Take Your Whiskey Home, Dave says, "Hold on Ed," then as Eddie plays quieter, Dave literally tells him to stop, then proceeds to wax philosophic for several minutes about who-knows-what. And Eddie did not look happy about it.

Moderation is the key, imo.

For all those currently sitting behind a laptop at home this evening with a cuppa whatever...my feeling is that gig patrons can be both adult and wild if they choose to be. There will be some that ruffle your feathers while you try to talk to a crowd. Reserve your best musician's jokes for an unruly crowd.

Thankfully, when I used to help close out the evening at a blues jam many years ago, both the house band and bar patrons were full of food, drink and mirth. My lead guitarist buddy Tommy W. and I would play with the house band for about 45 minutes until the jam host signaled to wrap it up.

Whatever crowd was still remaining at 12:30 AM would be the last of the house band faithful...more sensible patrons had already enjoyed their evening and had already gone home. Either rides were arranged, or spouses were asked to come retrieve their loved ones so all made it home safely.

Even though there might be someone who couldn't holds his/her liquor, each was treated equally. Contrary to more recent times, there were no incidents of fighting or violence that would have spoiled an otherwise good evening.

Although I'm not too proud to say it, my former blues jam host was one of the best examples of musicianship with dignity I've ever known. He only drank black decaf coffee and tea when he performed, was a gentleman, and displayed respect for his fellowman. If he disagreed with you, he'd ask a question to learn what you felt and thought, instead of forcing his opinion on you.

While there are still people who exude these qualities today, I can't help but wonder if the voices of reason are being silenced by more aggressive, prideful types that act on their base emotions and instincts like animals, not reason like humans.

The reason humans have been able to create and discover so much themselves is because of our capacity for learning. Yet, when impaired by alcohol or recreational substances, we revert to our base emotions and act out. This is perhaps the sole reason for my drinking only one alcoholic drink per evening. When asked if I'd like more, I politely say, "Thanks, I'm good."

My days of blues jams is past, though my love of music and open-mics has not waned. I am thankful for my former blues jam host mentor, and wish him well. I just hope that the spirit that existed at our blues jam finds its way to a safe haven of its own someday. Meanwhile, I am happy to be sitting at home watching and waiting, praying that those who spent their evenings at their respective gigs also make it home safely.

My cuppa tea my companion, the soft piano grooving slowly upon my computer. It is realized that what we do each day is never really done. Each new day arrives with its own troubles, as evidenced by the morning newspaper. A little maintenance is all that's needed, to help keep things working smoothly compared to bigger issues if we did not pay attention to that small noise when it was small.

Personally, I’ve always welcomed someone with good stage banter at the shows I go to, but what I call ‘good’ isn’t everyone’s idea of good, I mean Mike Patton and Devin Townsend. :D

I fronted bands for about 15 years and adapted a lot of what I learned in the restaurant business, serving tables, in regards to taking a crowd of strangers and entertainment them so they gave me money. It’s safe to say onstage in metal bands, I often approached it like an edgy comedian. No long speeches or rants, that never did much for me, but if I can pick things or people out of the audience and make them part of the show/experience, it always did well for drawing people into the band.
The audience is part of the show. It’s a give and take. Talk to them. Keep it brief. But never get personal with your beliefs.

Not Good: As Ed starts Take Your Whiskey Home, Dave says, "Hold on Ed," then as Eddie plays quieter, Dave literally tells him to stop, then proceeds to wax philosophic for several minutes about who-knows-what. And Eddie did not look happy about it.
He's done that a few times.
For all those currently sitting behind a laptop at home this evening with a cuppa whatever...my feeling is that gig patrons can be both adult and wild if they choose to be. There will be some that ruffle your feathers while you try to talk to a crowd. Reserve your best musician's jokes for an unruly crowd.

Thankfully, when I used to help close out the evening at a blues jam many years ago, both the house band and bar patrons were full of food, drink and mirth. My lead guitarist buddy Tommy W. and I would play with the house band for about 45 minutes until the jam host signaled to wrap it up.

Whatever crowd was still remaining at 12:30 AM would be the last of the house band faithful...more sensible patrons had already enjoyed their evening and had already gone home. Either rides were arranged, or spouses were asked to come retrieve their loved ones so all made it home safely.

Even though there might be someone who couldn't holds his/her liquor, each was treated equally. Contrary to more recent times, there were no incidents of fighting or violence that would have spoiled an otherwise good evening.

Although I'm not too proud to say it, my former blues jam host was one of the best examples of musicianship with dignity I've ever known. He only drank black decaf coffee and tea when he performed, was a gentleman, and displayed respect for his fellowman. If he disagreed with you, he'd ask a question to learn what you felt and thought, instead of forcing his opinion on you.

While there are still people who exude these qualities today, I can't help but wonder if the voices of reason are being silenced by more aggressive, prideful types that act on their base emotions and instincts like animals, not reason like humans.

The reason humans have been able to create and discover so much themselves is because of our capacity for learning. Yet, when impaired by alcohol or recreational substances, we revert to our base emotions and act out. This is perhaps the sole reason for my drinking only one alcoholic drink per evening. When asked if I'd like more, I politely say, "Thanks, I'm good."

My days of blues jams is past, though my love of music and open-mics has not waned. I am thankful for my former blues jam host mentor, and wish him well. I just hope that the spirit that existed at our blues jam finds its way to a safe haven of its own someday. Meanwhile, I am happy to be sitting at home watching and waiting, praying that those who spent their evenings at their respective gigs also make it home safely.

My cuppa tea my companion, the soft piano grooving slowly upon my computer. It is realized that what we do each day is never really done. Each new day arrives with its own troubles, as evidenced by the morning newspaper. A little maintenance is all that's needed, to help keep things working smoothly compared to bigger issues if we did not pay attention to that small noise when it was small.
I'm just glad you didn't say all of this in between songs at the gig! :D

Last edited:
The only thing that matters in the end is if the audience leaves feeling like they got a good show. I saw a Tool show where they did like a 90 minute set with no talking. It was amazing. But I've also seen shows with a decent amount of banter that were just as good, because the performers had charisma/charm. And others with no talking that were terrible performances because the material wasn't strong enough on its own. Like everything in music, there are no rules.

Last edited:
He's done that a few times.

I'm just glad you didn't say all of this in between songs at the gig! :D
No, the accolades for my jam host were never made public IRL, only online. The host's career ended abruptly after his poor diet caused him some TIA's (trans-interstitial aneurysms, mini-strokes, as it were).

After his elderly Mom passed, he continued touring the local region, but being hungry after a gig, he would hit the fast food joints on his way home from a gig. His BP ballooned up over 215/100, and that's when the TIA's began. It caused his fingers and hands to falter when playing, which within 3 months time, ended his lucrative career of about 45 years.

Most recent time I visited him was in a nursing home Xmas Eve 2015. He's still alive but has moved to a new place that is essentially a dumping grounds for chronically ill patients who have no hope for recovery.

It's truly a sad story of a lovable old man whose wise-cracking sense of humor during gigs earned him many local fans. His contribution to the Connecticut blues and jazz scene is sorely missed.

No, I'd never speak so much about my former mentor, unless it were to mention my thanks for all he taught me during my blues jam days. And that likely only as a thanks when he departs this life as an impromptu eulogy.

As a side note, when I was first introduced to my mentor, at the time, when asked what his name was, a separate friend said, "Burt. Burt Teague. Just don't call him Burp Tease, he hates that." I never once violated that trust, but to this day, fondly remember my introduction to my mentor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom