How many of you guys use the enhancer block and...

One of the greatest sounds for me when playing live over the years is a Hammond B3 through a Leslie tone cab. It does not translate well into the PA. However, it's inspirational for musicians on stage. I feel the same way about stereo effects for other instruments onstage, including guitar, if they inspire the musicians to play better!

Have you tried using a delay pedal to emulate double tracked/widening? John Petrucci does this often. I think its the dual delay, not positive, but if you put the delay in parallel, pan either full L or R, mix to 100, level 0, and set your delay time very low to something like .20, .40 and then pan your dry signal opposite you get a double track emulation. I have found that this doesn't change the tone as much as the enhancer.
This is basically what the classic enhancer does. It adds 20ms of delay to one side and leaves unaltered the other side.
PS: sometimes I also use a tape chorus set to the same delay time that adds a bit of coloration and modulation to the delayed signal, this greatly emulates the vintage adt reel

Last edited:
HI, saw this post and then decided to try the enhancer as all i do is play live in stereo. I tried the classic mode and it does sound good..I can tell my right side is hotter or louder a little with the enhancer?. Is this how this is suppose to work? i then looked at the VU and indeed the levels on the right were hotter. I then tried to use balance to make them even but it didnt sound the same.

HI, saw this post and then decided to try the enhancer as all i do is play live in stereo. I tried the classic mode and it does sound good..I can tell my right side is hotter or louder a little with the enhancer?. Is this how this is suppose to work? i then looked at the VU and indeed the levels on the right were hotter. I then tried to use balance to make them even but it didnt sound the same.
Are you sure that your levels are the same without the enhancer? Because this shouldn't happen, classic enhancer should create the impression that one side is louder than the other but that's psychoacoustic, you perceive louder the channel not delayed, in the VU meter they should look the same

I don't play in studios or for recording, I only play in live settings, so I'm my case the use of stereo effects to achieve the tonal pallette that's required, some extensive use of the stereo field is essential. The chief caveat being, I'm the only guitar player in the band, so there is significantly more space with which to operate sonically. We do try as a band to play as dynamically as we can. As I mentioned in my previous post I use the enhancer block pretty much across all my presets through the FOH only, so from output 1. I don't use it through output 2 to my power amp and stage cab though, because I need the sound to be more compact. I don't think the enhancer does add much spread, like you say, I think it's more of a perceived depth thing, like trick to fool the ear using very tiny delay times. I've yet to experience the smeared sound you refer to, in any size venue I've played in, most of which are small-ish pubs/clubs, but of course it vastly depends on your setup, sounds, and levels, so perhaps I have mine set just right for this purpose.
Also from a guitar perspective the FOH sound is there to reinforce the stage sound, not to overwhelm it, so the mixture of my stage cab and the FOH create the correct overall sonic picture, without taking the focus away from the lead vocalist, or any of the other instruments. Nevertheless, the net result is it just works, and focuses the big stereo delays nicely. I've stood out front at soundchecks in the past to test the room for dead-spots and it just doesn't happen. Generally because the main guitar signal is basically dual-mono, so nobody in the room is missing any of it with the panning effects added on. You'd think it would be too subtle but to have even non musicians comment on it positively is justification in itself.

I noticed this first in a big way when I went to see Steve Lukather at a solo show in a small comedy club venue in Camden, London, In 1997. I wasn't stood in the best spot, kind of off to one side but still the stereo delays sounded immense, and you could still hear both sides of it. Very impressive. Luke still uses stereo delays and other effects now, even with his more stripped down, portable rig. Good enough for him, definitely good enough for me.

The enhancer is specifically to provide stereo spread, that's its job. It might sound like a depth thing to you and that's fine, but it is what it is by design, can't really argue that. If you're using a single mono cab but running the enhancer on it, the issues are much more minimal unless you're on extreme settings, but stereo hard-panned cabs or hard-panned double tracked guitars is a different story entirely. If you threw it on in the context of an actual recording where you've got a much more controlled environment for hearing these details, you'd probably notice the smearing effect, the decreased focus, and the decreased punch of the signal.

You're the only guitar player, and if you read my post you'll see that I already stated if you're the only player it's a more viable option. That's great that you heard Steve's stereo delays at a show once, but you can't argue physics and science. There are people who are going to miss out or get a really skewed view of your stereo image all over a venue. I've been one of those people many times. Some venues are much better than others, of course, but again, you're relying on a pretty large number of variables when you're running stereo. Let me explain why...

Playing mostly small venues like you stated isn't evidence that stereo always works well. You're missing my point there. I said the stereo field is practically non-existent. I did not say that you won't hear the other side of the ping-pong delay/stereo chorus/etc. at a small venue. These are two different things. Sure you're going to hear both sides of the delay, but it's still going to be a pretty narrow stereo field compared to a recording because you're so subject to audience placement. If the room is narrow and the speakers are in the corners, you've got a better scenario. If the room is wide or long and the speakers are closer together, you've got a worse scenario. That's just the way the physics work. For a minority of people in the room, you're running a decent sized stereo field. For the rest of the room, you're essentially just running two slightly different mono signals. Nothing wrong with that, it can still sound cool, but again, it is what it is.

I'm not telling you that you should go back to running mono. If it works for you, it works for you. I'm just supplying you with the facts of the tools you're using.

What do you guys do for recording if you are using the enhancer? I usually record one track and pan it hard left, then record another track of the same part and pan it hard right. Does the enhancer block function as a widening effect in that case or is it better to only use it for recording something like a lead that you won't be double tracking? Wondering if I should use it during recording or just bypass it and deal with any widening efforts during mixing?

I don't. Stereo enhancers on hard-panned guitars just becomes detrimental to the punch and the tone, from my experience. Using it on a mono signal (as long as the enhancer is mono compatible - meaning does not cause phase cancellation) is the only time I ever use one.

Are you sure that your levels are the same without the enhancer? Because this shouldn't happen, classic enhancer should create the impression that one side is louder than the other but that's psychoacoustic, you perceive louder the channel not delayed, in the VU meter they should look the same

HI, ok i tired it on a different preset and it didnt alter the L/R vu. I dont know maybe something is going on with with the first preset i added it too. ill check it out again. thanks

Last edited:
Using it on a mono signal (as long as the enhancer is mono compatible - meaning does not cause phase cancellation) is the only time I ever use one.

This statement has me a little confused. I thought the enhancer was intended to be used with stereo output. Why do you use it on a mono signal?

This statement has me a little confused. I thought the enhancer was intended to be used with stereo output. Why do you use it on a mono signal?

Stereo output yes, meaning you have to be running two cables out of the unit. But the Enhancer block is also good at "stereoizing" mono signals to make them sound wider as well. So if you run two cables out of the unit (L/R) but are only using a single mono cab block, you can still use the Enhancer on that mono signal to widen it. Try it out and you'll see what I mean.

The enhancer is specifically to provide stereo spread, that's its job. It might sound like a depth thing to you and that's fine, but it is what it is by design, can't really argue that. If you're using a single mono cab but running the enhancer on it, the issues are much more minimal unless you're on extreme settings, but stereo hard-panned cabs or hard-panned double tracked guitars is a different story entirely. If you threw it on in the context of an actual recording where you've got a much more controlled environment for hearing these details, you'd probably notice the smearing effect, the decreased focus, and the decreased punch of the signal.

You're the only guitar player, and if you read my post you'll see that I already stated if you're the only player it's a more viable option. That's great that you heard Steve's stereo delays at a show once, but you can't argue physics and science. There are people who are going to miss out or get a really skewed view of your stereo image all over a venue. I've been one of those people many times. Some venues are much better than others, of course, but again, you're relying on a pretty large number of variables when you're running stereo. Let me explain why...

Playing mostly small venues like you stated isn't evidence that stereo always works well. You're missing my point there. I said the stereo field is practically non-existent. I did not say that you won't hear the other side of the ping-pong delay/stereo chorus/etc. at a small venue. These are two different things. Sure you're going to hear both sides of the delay, but it's still going to be a pretty narrow stereo field compared to a recording because you're so subject to audience placement. If the room is narrow and the speakers are in the corners, you've got a better scenario. If the room is wide or long and the speakers are closer together, you've got a worse scenario. That's just the way the physics work. For a minority of people in the room, you're running a decent sized stereo field. For the rest of the room, you're essentially just running two slightly different mono signals. Nothing wrong with that, it can still sound cool, but again, it is what it is.

I'm not telling you that you should go back to running mono. If it works for you, it works for you. I'm just supplying you with the facts of the tools you're using.

Thank you, but like you say what I'm doing is working perfectly. And I couldn't possible go 'back' to running mono, because I genuinely can't remember when that was, it was a seriously long time ago.

I was merely explaining the fact that it works for me and for many others including lots of pro players at the highest possible level. So the info you are supplying, on paper don't necessarily translate in real life in many cases. I refer back to many other threads on here where folk rant on till they're blue in the face about how stereo setups just won't work in live environments, and are very dismissive of it, love to hammer home the 'science' of their opinion, (not for a minute implying are one of those by the way, you already commented on the benefits of it). I do feel it's necessary to point out the other side of the story to those who may be interested, from someone who's actually out there doing it week in, week out, and getting great results in all sorts of venues with different size/shape rooms. That's the only real way of checking it out, so to those who consider it, try it before reading the negative rhetoric and who knows, it could work for you too. Happy days!

Thank you, but like you say what I'm doing is working perfectly. And I couldn't possible go 'back' to running mono, because I genuinely can't remember when that was, it was a seriously long time ago.

I was merely explaining the fact that it works for me and for many others including lots of pro players at the highest possible level. So the info you are supplying, on paper don't necessarily translate in real life in many cases. I refer back to many other threads on here where folk rant on till they're blue in the face about how stereo setups just won't work in live environments, and are very dismissive of it, love to hammer home the 'science' of their opinion, (not for a minute implying are one of those by the way, you already commented on the benefits of it). I do feel it's necessary to point out the other side of the story to those who may be interested, from someone who's actually out there doing it week in, week out, and getting great results in all sorts of venues with different size/shape rooms. That's the only real way of checking it out, so to those who consider it, try it before reading the negative rhetoric and who knows, it could work for you too. Happy days!

If you're brushing off my comments as "negative rhetoric" then you've entirely missed my point.

The info I'm supplying is fact The info I'm supplying is about how you need to account for variables, what to watch out for, and how these tools actually work. Not how I decided they work. Saying my info "doesn't translate" isn't true. It does translate, but it's subject to all the variables I've stated and more, which I've stated several times already. You're in a situation where it's working for you and those variables work out. That's great, I'm not at all trying to suggest that it isn't working for you and that it doesn't sound great, I'm sure it does sound great. However, that doesn't change the facts of how they work and what their pitfalls are, don't confuse my opinion of why I don't want to use them with the facts of the pitfalls and misinformation/misunderstanding of running stereo. It's about understanding these tools and not just blindly using them, because they are so ridiculously misunderstood by many.

"Try it yourself" is definitely the best thing to do, I completely agree, but that doesn't mean you're going to get the whole picture just by trying it. How many people use compressors but don't understand them? I think everyone on this forum at one point or another had to be told what to listen for before they could actually hear it, whether it be the differences between two OD pedals, or an EQ adjustment, or comparing compressor plugins, etc. Try it yourself, but also couple it with knowledge from more informed people to get the full picture.

If you're brushing off my comments as "negative rhetoric" then you've entirely missed my point.

The info I'm supplying is fact The info I'm supplying is about how you need to account for variables, what to watch out for, and how these tools actually work. Not how I decided they work. Saying my info "doesn't translate" isn't true. It does translate, but it's subject to all the variables I've stated and more, which I've stated several times already. You're in a situation where it's working for you and those variables work out. That's great, I'm not at all trying to suggest that it isn't working for you and that it doesn't sound great, I'm sure it does sound great. However, that doesn't change the facts of how they work and what their pitfalls are, don't confuse my opinion of why I don't want to use them with the facts of the pitfalls and misinformation/misunderstanding of running stereo. It's about understanding these tools and not just blindly using them, because they are so ridiculously misunderstood by many.

"Try it yourself" is definitely the best thing to do, I completely agree, but that doesn't mean you're going to get the whole picture just by trying it. How many people use compressors but don't understand them? I think everyone on this forum at one point or another had to be told what to listen for before they could actually hear it, whether it be the differences between two OD pedals, or an EQ adjustment, or comparing compressor plugins, etc. Try it yourself, but also couple it with knowledge from more informed people to get the full picture.
Sure, that is the best way. I didn't read all that stuff before trying it either, I just went ahead and did it, and it works. By all means, if you're the type of player who doesn't use many effects, or uses the same basic sound for an entire show, then there is simply no point to it, and certainly don't bother using the enhancer block either. But for those of us who do, even in live situations that are less than optimal, where the overall effect FOH could be construed as 'barely noticable', it's still there nevertheless, the guitar sound doesn't stop working altogether, there is nothing really lost. Yes there's nothing to lose. Another thing worth noting, the incredibly drunk people jumping around on the dance floor are unlikely to care a jot. The one or two punters that do notice from time to time and take the time to come up afterwards and mention it make the whole excersise a complete success as far as I'm concerned.

So for me, if Cliff and team designed the Axe-Fx 3 as a completely mono only unit, then I for one wouldn't make the upgrade (or is that downgrade?).

Sure, that is the best way. I didn't read all that stuff before trying it either, I just went ahead and did it, and it works. By all means, if you're the type of player who doesn't use many effects, or uses the same basic sound for an entire show, then there is simply no point to it, and certainly don't bother using the enhancer block either. But for those of us who do, even in live situations that are less than optimal, where the overall effect FOH could be construed as 'barely noticable', it's still there nevertheless, the guitar sound doesn't stop working altogether, there is nothing really lost. Yes there's nothing to lose. Another thing worth noting, the incredibly drunk people jumping around on the dance floor are unlikely to care a jot. The one or two punters that do notice from time to time and take the time to come up afterwards and mention it make the whole excersise a complete success as far as I'm concerned.

So for me, if Cliff and team designed the Axe-Fx 3 as a completely mono only unit, then I for one wouldn't make the upgrade (or is that downgrade?).

There's plenty of people who use tons of effects and many sounds every night that still don't have any use for - or would even negatively be impacted by - stereo setups. There is something to lose, actually. I've stated them many times. It works for you, and I'm not questioning that. Just because you do not have these issues does not change the fact that they exist.

There's plenty of people who use tons of effects and many sounds every night that still don't have any use for - or would even negatively be impacted by - stereo setups. There is something to lose, actually. I've stated them many times. It works for you, and I'm not questioning that. Just because you do not have these issues does not change the fact that they exist.

Correct, I don't have these issues. If I did, and If they existed to the point where it was noticed or I was told it sounded bad, then fair enough, but that hasn't and doesn't happen. Again, happy days! :)

Correct, I don't have these issues. If I did, and If they existed to the point where it was noticed or I was told it sounded bad, then fair enough, but that hasn't and doesn't happen. Again, happy days! :)

That's been my point all along. I never suggested there was something wrong with your rig, I just stated things involved in the nature or running stereo rigs that can be detrimental.

Stereo output yes, meaning you have to be running two cables out of the unit. But the Enhancer block is also good at "stereoizing" mono signals to make them sound wider as well. So if you run two cables out of the unit (L/R) but are only using a single mono cab block, you can still use the Enhancer on that mono signal to widen it. Try it out and you'll see what I mean.

Ok, that makes sense.

For those that use the enhancer block, do you prefer the classic or the modern setting? Also, if you were to be using one live and ended up playing a gig where you could only go with one output (because of a soundguy not having enough channels for you to go stereo) would it be best to not use the enhancer at all? Seems like the classic one would be a no go in that situation for sure, but would the modern setting be messed up enough to cause weird issues?

That's been my point all along. I never suggested there was something wrong with your rig, I just stated things involved in the nature or running stereo rigs that can be detrimental.

That's totally fine. My point all along was, that despite the nature of things, those issues you describe more often than not won't present any problems at all.
I can only report my own findings, and In my case, I've yet to experience anything detrimental, unpleasant or untoward since I started using this setup in early 2009 in the Axe-Fx Standard days, then the Ultra, II and now I'm using an XL. Happily, a lot of years, gigs and venues later that continues to be the case. And I admit, we've derailed this thread a little with our passive-aggressive banter just a little, the crux of which was, do you use the enhancer block, and what for? To which I say, yes I absolutely do, when I play live, and it's a really nice effect.

I have always used it. It just sounds thin without it for me. I give the odd soundmen crap if he is not running stereo. After all this is 2016.
So few run stereo here. It's sad really.

On topic: I never use it anymore unless I'm using headphones. When I A/B, it just always sounds better, more organic, without the enhancer IMO.

I use it on 50% of my clean settings, both with a PA and in situations where I am not going through the house system. As stated earlier, if you are the only guitarist in the band, you have quite a bit more sonic real estate to operate with.

The patches I use it on are those that use a JC-120, and I usually play a guitar with EMGs for those tones as well. The enhancer does something to the tone that gives it a "modern metal clean" polish. Like others, I use the classic setting as well.

Running my tele through a Fender amp-based patch, I don't use it.

Ok, that makes sense.

For those that use the enhancer block, do you prefer the classic or the modern setting? Also, if you were to be using one live and ended up playing a gig where you could only go with one output (because of a soundguy not having enough channels for you to go stereo) would it be best to not use the enhancer at all? Seems like the classic one would be a no go in that situation for sure, but would the modern setting be messed up enough to cause weird issues?

You won't get the same effect. You might notice tonal changes and that odd "smearing" effect on the tone at extreme settings, but you won't notice increased width because you're only sending out a mono signal.

Back
Top Bottom