How many amps of the dozens of amp models do you use?

I mainly use 5-6 presets; but have worked up over 40 of them over time for use.

Why not? I love exploring tonally and to me, that's an advantage of having this box and owning for an extended period. I love the palette available.

If you only need one amp model the axe can do that :)

It's worth the investment for what you're needing IMHO. You could get the standard, controller, and expression pedal for under two grand and be readyto roll. If you're playing acoustic at church too it works great for that so you'd have one rig for everything. If you ever need or want a different tone you've got a ton of options in the axe but you don't have to.

For church stuff I use the Boutique 1 (matchless) model with the redwirez VoxAC30 Blues. Great for modern p&w.

New user here.

The Axe has a lot more usable models thans any other box I've tried. With the others, I could never get a "complete" tone. I could never get a lead tone with both good high end and bottom end, for example.

With the Axe there are multiple choices for each of my sounds. I've identified at least ten good lead models, some a little darker, some tighter, some brighter, etc. It's a luxury to be able to have choices. And I haven't had to do any advanced tweaking yet.

Like many, I only need four main tones, so I'll thin the herd some over time, but it's so nice to have options.

JWW

I got the Axe mainly for FX use because I"m an FX whore, and after a couple months I use (when recording) 5 different amps (2 together in 1 preset), but I have 20 or so effects presets mainly using my clean amp (AC30 top boost).

I just got my Ultra, so I'm only using 4 or 5 at the moment, but I keep hearing the AC30 on cleans that kicks my butt... gotta make a patch with that too... and then there.s the SRV imitation presets.. makes me wanna play that... ( and I'm not really a Blues player...)

The point is, is the models that it does do, it does REALLY well !! Every person is going to pick different models as to what is their favorites... the Uber is wood inducing ... then you start to do dual amp setups, and HOLY CRAP !!!!

Then, if you add in intelligent harmonization, and all the other built-in effects ( if you're into effects..)... and consider how MUCH you would spend on buying all the different FX units, and the killer amp of your choice... the Axe seems pretty dang cheap.

THEN, if you consider that you can get a 2, 4, or 6 space rack, plug it DIRECTLY into the PA, and NOT have to carry the heavy tube amps, cabinets, etc... it's a back-saver too !!

I wasn't blown away by ALL of the presets, but when I auditioned a few that sounded pretty darn good, and modified them to sound the way I would make them sound in the studio... HOLY CRAP !!... then Jason shows me the "boost" option on my amp choice... the silent tuning mode... all I can say, is that my Korg DTR-2000 is for sale, my Mesa Quad, Rocktron Chameleon, Mesa 295 rigs with full FX systems are now fully RETIRED.

I've had my axe for less than a year and the big challenge I've had is, as Yek mentioned, choosing a couple of the kajillion options. I started out using nothing but 1 amp and 1 cab. Tweak tweak tweak... next amp model.... tweak tweak tweak. I use about 3-4. My main "go to" amp is the fryette 60M, but I dig the 5150 as well. Also, the Dr Z is great crunchy coverband stuff.

Yeah, the other thing is that, back in my other modeler days, each unit might have had just one or two models that I really found useful. And even then, they'd be quite limited within themselves, just that it happened to be what I wanted.

The Axe on the other hand, I seem to be able to get something good out of just about any model I pick. The only ones I can't are probably just a case of it being way out of my area of taste.

When I first got my Axe, I basically started with the amps I really wanted to nail, i.e. the Mark stuff to replace my real Mark gear. Everything else since then has basically been a case of me going, "My usual tone isn't quite working for this. In my head it seems more like a [insert vague brand reference here]." At least from there I've got some kind of point to start my tweaking from.

I think the bigger choice problem for me is cabs. I've got a few combinations I find myself using a lot, but for less-than-usual tones (for me anyway) I'll go hunting through the cabs and drive myself nuts trying to find the right combination of cabs and mics. And I still haven't even played with any user IRs. :lol: Gonna try some RW stuff soon... even though I'm pretty sure it'll just result in me being institutionalised. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom